advertisement

SORTED. I need to connect my Zen Mini Mk3 to BT Broadband/router with an RJ45 or USB adaptor

TheFlash

Reiki Audio
So impressed with the PulseMini+LPSU that I have bought a Zen Mini Mk3+LPSU for my Kendal gaff. The Bluesound Node 2i has always been connected by wifi there as cables would be seriously long and seriously hard to install (I may look at optical in the medium term but my need is more pressing).

I need to wifi enable the Zen Mini which has USB and RJ45 ports and I want/need to do this next week so I can extract the Node 2i (which has sold) but leave the apartment with access to Qobuz/Radio Paradise.
  • I do not want to use powerline adaptors
  • I do not want to set up a parallel wifi network using paired devices (I want to stick with existing BT wifi)
Does anyone have any personal experience of wifi dongles which atttach to an existing network? With reliable connectivity and no bandwidth bottlenecks? I can google and eBay search like a ninja but it's still a minefield!

Huge thanks,

Nigel

Innuos are 100% against WiFi (wrongly)

Does anyone have any personal experience of wifi dongles which atttach to an existing network? With reliable connectivity and no bandwidth bottlenecks? I can google and eBay search like a ninja but it's still a minefield!l

WiFi dongles are generally USB, what you need is an AP extender with ethernet (NIC to connect the Mini)

well you won't be as Innuos don't support USB WiFi dongles

You connect to an AP (access point) using WiFi but you can get an AP extender that communicates with the main main AP via WiFi but provides a local ethernet (RJ45) connection

An AP is normally your home router which is essentially a modem/router/switch/AP in a single device, common one is the BT Home Hub

Don't know much about this stuff, but reckon you'd either need to use either a wifi range extender (they usually have a port) or else a wifi bridge (am sure you can power this from the zen mini usb port) . I believe the bridges sign-in via wps or configured through a setup page, the same as initial Node setup.

Why not contact the guys at Innuos for advice - I've always found them extremely helpful.

well you won't be as Innuos don't support USB WiFi dongles

You connect to an AP (access point) using WiFi but you can get an AP extender that communicates with the main main AP via WiFi but provides a local ethernet (RJ45) connection

An AP is normally your home router which is essentially a modem/router/switch/AP in a single device, common one is the BT Home Hub

Thanks. Perhaps I should have made it clearer in the thread title that my BT broadband router is a BT Home Hub (2, I think).

Please give me an example of an AP extender. A BT WiFi Disc for example, as I have here in Leicestershire? Thanks

Better than a BT WiFi Disc (which also happens to be far more aesthetically pleasing)?

No that's just an AP, you need an AP extender with ethernet (RJ45)

Not being funny but don't you sell network switches, getting the impression you have no clue about networking?

No that's just an AP, you need an AP extender with ethernet (RJ45)

Not being funny but don't you sell network switches, getting the impression you have no clue about networking?
No you're not being funny, so you get self-awareness points at least.You did this before and I thought we'd moved on. The switches I design/make/sell are to address issues unrelated to digital data and nothing to do with wifi. Can we get back to the Q I asked? Thanks

The BT WiFi Disc has an ethernet port.

That doesn't look like something which connects to an existing wifi network.

Take a good look at tne application examples shown. It has many operating modes, including as an AP extender.

A BT wifi disc is a different beast, as it's a range extender.

No you're not being funny, so you get self-awareness points at least.You did this before and I thought we'd moved on. The switches I design/make/sell are to address issues unrelated to digital data and nothing to do with wifi. Can we get back to the Q I asked? Thanks

The BT WiFi Disc has an ethernet port.

well use the BT wifi disc then :rolleyes:

how can you say that the switches you sell have nothing to do with digital data without having the first idea of what networking is or what the issues relating to that could possibly be?

well use the BT wifi disc then :rolleyes:

how can you say that the switches you sell have nothing to do with digital data without having the first idea of what networking is or what the issues relating to that could possibly be?

My question is about wifi. The products I design/make/sell are irrelevant to wifi.

I've worked in IT for decades. I know exactly what networking is and what the issues related to this could possibly be. I understand all the levels of the OSI model eg how packets and frames work. You simply fail to understand what a switch, deployed for audiophile purposes and not for port replication purposes, can possibly bring to the party. It's about RFI noise, not the digital data. Happy to enlighten you by PM if you need more info but please can we get back on topic? Or are you going to plough on?

advertisement

Back