advertisement

Sony XA-777ES no sound output SACD

per-Sony-fied

Me in another jacket
I've had a Sony XA-777ES for many years & it has been great up to a couple of years ago when it started to play up reading hybrid discs. I wasn't sure what was causing this as it is not heavily used & just started causing problems from one day I turned it on after many weeks on non use.
Some research told me it was the laser head & needed replacement. So rather than buying some "copy" from china that may not have worked, I had just by chance another cheaper Sony SACD player that worked ok with the same laser head in. So I dismantled that to thief the laser head. Stuck it my XA-777ES & it has been working of sorts ever since. Still fails to read hybrid discs when the deck has been on for some time. So to put this a bit more clearly, as long as the original hybrid disc remains within the deck & the deck remains on it will continue to read that disc or subsequent discs until it reaches a certain amount of time powered up then it stops reading them if a new disc is inserted. I've been trying to cure this problem by going into "Test mode" & getting the machine to recalibrate itself & making sure the servo's are on. However nothing I've tried has really worked terribly well so I've put up with this problem right up to the present moment.
Yesterday I attempted to play a SACD only disc & found to my astonishment there is NO AUDIO. When the disc is inserted the deck detects it is a SACD & then it proceeds to play but with NO SOUND, not through the rear line out or headphone socket. Thought it might be something astray with that particular disc so I tried another with same result.
So has anyone got any clues to why this should be?

No, it is a front loader multi channel player. Seems strange Hybrid discs play the SACD layer but pure SACD discs don't!

advertisement

Back