advertisement

Sony Walkman Pro

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
I've owned this from new, but haven't used it for several years. Rather than have it sat on my shelves doing nothing, I thought a charity should benefit. I could of course just take it to a charity shop, but the ones round here aren't keen on taking electrical goods.

It sort-of works, in that it powers up OK, and will play tapes, but it won't rewind or fast-forward. Last time I listened to a tape on it, it sounded fine, but I'll have to say it's 'as seen'.

Other than that, kit's in reasonable cosmetic condition. I have the leather case, the original Sony power supply and the manual. No box, but I'm sure I can find something suitable.

What I don't want is to host an auction (the last time I tried that on here it went horribly wrong), or get involved in lengthy discussions on price, condition etc etc, or send photos. So it's first come, first served, and 'as seen' with no promises on condition. I'll cover the cost of postage, and I'll leave it to you to choose a) which charity should benefit and b) how much you think is an appropriate amount, bearing in mind that non-working types still go for several hundred quid on eBay.

My Walkman Pro thread in the classic room likely highlights the rew/ffwd issue and how to fix it! My bet is it will be solidified oil on the arm on which the idler moves preventing it doing its thing. It’s fiddly as everything is so small, and you do need to remove the idler, but I managed to fix mine and it has stayed fixed ever since.

I'll let the new owner do the necessary. I'm as clumsy as a clumsy thing, and would probably only make things worse!

Indeed, I wrote mine off by mistakenly reversing the polarity with an aftermarket DC PS. Can't remember what I did with it, but it was superb for live recordings.

advertisement

Back