advertisement

Sony TC-D5M Pro cassette recorder

Simon s

pfm Member
I managed to pick up one of these beauties today ! I have fond memories of using the Sony WM-D6C for recording and saw that this seems like its big daddy - even if it was probably made before the WM-D6C ?

Anyhow, i wanted to ask the expertise and experience of people here to ask how they compare to a decent Nak tape deck and if anyone has used one in the field to record ?

Second question is that it doesn't come with a power supply -which is specified as 6V -the official PS was an AC-122 for european use, or it runs off R20 batteries. However, my question is would any variable voltage power supply work with this ? Something like this:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=193478310372

Or is there something missing here which i need to bear in mind ? Additionally, if i use a 9V power supply would it damage the unit ? or is it under voltage which causes potential damage ? Either way it seems like a machine worth keeping and i can't wait to hear my old mix tapes and bring the nostalgia back !

Whats your thoughts all ?

Thanks

Si

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
They are lovely cassette recorders, I’d personally take one over a WMD6C. None of them measure up to a really good three-head Nak or similar though, but still a very nice machine.

Be very careful of the polarity of any PSU. I know many people blow WMD6Cs up by getting it wrong! IIRC it is different from the usual.

Yes, the outer barrel is +ve, with the inner connection being -ve, on these old Sony models. As Tony warns above, get it wrong and there will be smoke.

The European market power adaptor is (was) model AC-122. This has switch selectable input and output voltage selectors. They do show up for sale on-line.

Thats the beastie i was looking for. I didn't think that the polarity could be reversed on the PS. I guess there is no way to know unless i bought a ps on ebay ?

I decided not to bother trying to find the right PSU for my WMD6C as it is such a low use item, I’ve just stuffed it full of nice Panasonic Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries which saves a wire and a plug socket.

I did think that for now i could just buy batteries. They are the old skool D20 type so not sure if they do these as rechargables ?

I’ve just stuffed it full of nice Panasonic Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries which saves a wire and a plug socket.
While we are on the subject, which charger would you use to charge up the Eneloop batteries ? Are the Uniross intelligent chargers any good.
Thanks

While we are on the subject, which charger would you use to charge up the Eneloop batteries ? Are the Uniross intelligent chargers any good.

I’m really no expert on this, I just bought the Panasonic Eneloop charger. I’d have thought any intelligent charger would be good. The Panasonic one can tell the charge state of each of the four slots, turns each off when it is done and powers off when all are done, i.e. no issue if you forget you are charging. Amazon seem out of stock so nothing to link to.

Thanks for the info Werner.

I tested the unit last night and realise i need to replace the belts on this unit. I have the service manual which has schematics, lists every electronic part and most mechanical parts. Try finding a manual like that on any modern piece of kit ! http://sportsbil.com/sony/TC/TC-D5M/TC-D5M.pdf
However, it doesn't list the belt parts ?? Unless i am missing something here does anyone know the info on which belts they used or know a company in the UK which still provides these ?

Thanks

You can almost smell the mildew on that service manaul .pdf! :)

Page 27, exploded diagram of the transport, indicates the three belt part numbers, descriptions, and locations:
  • 3-545-601-00 Belt, pulley
  • 3-507-115-00 Belt (A)
  • 3-545-602-00 Belt, tape counter
A Google of 'sony 3-545-601-00 belt' returns suppliers of this individual belt, as well as suppliers of belt kits containing all three. I'd go with any that are billed as custom made in Japan, such as these from http://marrscommunications.com/sony-custom-walkman-and-discman-belts.

Thats fantastic Craig,

You have a keener eye then me here ! I found the exploding views (brilliant as they are) very hard to read.
And yes, its a blast from the past seeing photocopied images of a service manual.

Thanks

I tested the unit last night and realise i need to replace the belts on this unit.

If you are going for a belt-repair any chance of documenting it with a few pics the way I did with the WM-D6C? Not much on this cassette deck online and it would be great to follow the progress!

If you are going for a belt-repair any chance of documenting it with a few pics the way I did with the WM-D6C? Not much on this cassette deck online and it would be great to follow the progress!
I will do depending on how successful i am ! I did see one you tube video on a strip down of the unit, but it wasn't very concise. I think if i can get it running again i will be pleased though.

They have the Service Manual over on HiFiEngine if you’ve need it. I’ve not had a look, but the one for the WMD6C was useful. As ever go very slowly and spend far more time looking than doing, and photograph everything so you can remember how it goes back!

PS If it is full of tiny circlips etc I highly recommend the clear plastic bag trick to stop them flying away to another dimension.

advertisement

Back