advertisement

Sony RX10 iv for a safari trip?

RichardA

pfm Member
I have a nice trip coming up in October to South Africa for a safari. I’ve been before (30 years ago) and enjoyed it but photos from that trip are a little disappointing.
This time Mrs A and I will be back with my youngest son who has Downs. He loves animals and I want to take some pics that he will always treasure.

Reading around, the model that seems to get lots of positives is the Sony RX10 iv. Not inexpensive but seems to get high marks for quality and has a long zoom that would be essential.

Safe choice?
Where would you buy?

There was a recent Amazon offer for £1299 (Curry’s too). Sadly I didn’t move quickly enough and missed it. I may as well use the extra time to do some more due diligence. Apart from the camera it looks as though I should stock up on spare batteries and memory cards. Being clueless on photography I will also probably buy one of the various books available on how to use the Sony (or equivalent).

I would be grateful for any advice.

few DSLR cameras can do that lens range without you need 2 or three lenses to carry and fit.
The RX10 is the best of those cameras. You get convenience, good easy picture taking and good pic quality.
I'd def go for it, especially if it's to be used by 2 or more people less familiar with the technical stuff.
It's heavy however, is my only negative.

There are few alternatives. The Panasonic or Olympus 2/3rds sensor camera systems might do, but as a 'use and enjoy and trust' camera, the Sony or, close runner up, the Nikon Coolpix P1000 (smaller sensor = longer lens range at the cost of some pic quality) really are excellent choices.

I'd not worry about 'where'. One of the big suppliers with a reputation, like WEX photographic, will be close to the best deal, and see you right if anything goes wrong.

Go to Wex or similar, tell them what you’ve posted here, and see if they can suggest others.

Then, and this is very important, use the camera/s in the shop. Wex are great for this. Use the menus, use the zoom. Try to find out if the autofocus is good at tracking animals.

Then, buy early and use it, use it, use it. You really don’t want to be learning just as that heffalump walks out in front of you!

advertisement

Back