advertisement

Sony CDP voltage conversion

On Sony CD players of this era there are usually different transformer primary taps for 220v and 240v.

There are usually three wires: White, Red and Violet.

It's usually a case of swapping the Red and Violet over and to do this properly you want to use a wire wrap tool to untwist the wires and then put them in their new positions. I then just them just a little bit of new solder to hold them in place.

On Sony CD players of this era there are usually different transformer primary taps for 220v and 240v.

There are usually three wires: White, Red and Violet.

It's usually a case of swapping the Red and Violet over and to do this properly you want to use a wire wrap tool to untwist the wires and then put them in their new positions. I then just them just a little bit of new solder to hold them in place.
Thanks Mike,

I need to have a look inside and see if this makes sense.

would you unwrap the existing wire and move it, or would I need to replace the wire to connect to the new post?

Like I explained above, you need to swap red and violet.

Thanks Mike, I forgot you said swap them round.

Is one of those binding posts blind? So the output from one set of windings goes into the rectification stage e.g. the red wire, the other is an open circuit e.g. the violet wire?

The transformer has taps for both 220v and 240v mains input on the primary side.

Use a wirewrap tool to unwind the red and violet wires from the posts and swap their positions.

Where the red wire currently is currently located is not connected.

The transformer has taps for both 220v and 240v mains input on the primary side.

Use a wirewrap tool to unwind the red and violet wires from the posts and swap their positions.

Where the red wire currently is currently located is not connected.

Thanks Mike :)

advertisement

Back