advertisement

Sony Bravia 2021 OLED's

Another AppleTV 4K user here and I’m no fan of Apple generally so I would advocate fishies using the screen as a display, sound via hifi system and Apple/firestick/other as source for a cheap replaceable approach meaning the screen just displays for years and tech and app changes become less important.

In my case the Apple provides Zwift for smart trainer cycling, streaming apps of Amazon and Netflix, YouTube, Eurosport app for sports of interest to me, BluTooth compatibility to headphones for watching and not disturbing the family etc. It has changed my habits completely in that I could surrender the TV licence if I wanted as I actively have to pick up the TV remote and change the inputs to live TV and frankly only do so for about 5 mins once a week, grumble about it all being dire then switch back to the Apple box.

The screen in use is a 40” 4K lcd but I have a similar approach with the 55” ‘cinema room’ 2K OLED, that one being driven from a Kodi box used to access my movie library stored on NAS. The little boxes will be changed as needed to drive the screens in future years.

It’s quite something to have these modern options to suit our lifestyles, I sometimes think of how our ancestors would be amazed by it all.

What make is your 55" ? The LG are fine picking up NAS drives through their native inbuit software, so no external boxes needed.

Hi not sure without looking but I go via kodi as it picks up the subtitle container and I find the TVs native can’t handle them. Sound dynamic range is a whole other topic of course but I don’t like many of the decisions made by the studios which has you straining to hear quiet dialogue and running for the volume when the pyrotechnics start, I’m led to believe the beeb had standards around this that many broadcasters and studios have long since abandoned. Perhaps analogous to the blasting of adverts, some YouTube videos and much else on tv, recorded media and radio. Anyway, I use subtitles and thought it was my hearing until a mate explained how it’s usually deliberate.

Hi not sure without looking but I go via kodi as it picks up the subtitle container and I find the TVs native can’t handle them. Sound dynamic range is a whole other topic of course but I don’t like many of the decisions made by the studios which has you straining to hear quiet dialogue and running for the volume when the pyrotechnics start, I’m led to believe the beeb had standards around this that many broadcasters and studios have long since abandoned. Perhaps analogous to the blasting of adverts, some YouTube videos and much else on tv, recorded media and radio. Anyway, I use subtitles and thought it was my hearing until a mate explained how it’s usually deliberate.

If its an LG, just click the 'Photo and Video' app in the OS and it will show your NAS files, and it renders the MASSIVE full 4K video files completely fine. No need for additional boxes.

My LG has a sound setup which allows vocals to be higher and all that chaotic sound lower, which has been really useful!

Oh, they will all play directly just fine in the way you describe but subtitles don’t work no matter which TV I access from, in contrast they can be shown or not as one chooses via Kodi. I’d prefer direct of course for auto frame rate matching.

Oh, they will all play directly just fine in the way you describe but subtitles don’t work no matter which TV I access from, in contrast they can be shown or not as one chooses via Kodi. I’d prefer direct of course for auto frame rate matching.

If you use the LG menu and bring up the subtitles menu, and click them on, they work ok normally, never had an issue myself.

What brand is your tv?

It doesn’t work, trust me, a techie mate explained my LG TVs are not picking up on the container subtitles are stored in. They are within the mp4 or Mkv it’s just that they are not seen unless via the Kodi box. I have 3 different LGs all with slightly different software so I have to assume I have a fair spread of software versions and none of them will pick up subtitles from the NAS files.

advertisement

Back