advertisement

Sony Bravia 2021 OLED's

Far more apps available through a Firestick, & they're easily hackable. If you've a sound processor, it means you route the Firestick's HDMI through it & pick up the surround sound formats on the way. Often difficult to pick up Dolby Atmos etc. from the TV.

Modern LG OLeds allow Dolby Atmos through its Earc output.

You can always add a firestick to a tv if you want to ‘hack’ an app, myself, like most I would imagine, just want to watch telly and without being surrounded by remotes :)

Apple plus into a Sony Bravia 49”, here. The display is lovely, tv sound ok, but we never use that as it’s all Arc’d into the AV.

Modern LG OLeds allow Dolby Atmos through its Earc output.

You can always add a firestick to a tv if you want to ‘hack’ an app, myself, like most I would imagine, just want to watch telly and without being surrounded by remotes :)
Yes, but I find the eARC output a bit flaky. I don't want the TV to have any control over my other A/V equipment; in my setup, all control's routed through my Aram A/V receiver, & I use the one remote - a Harmony Ultimate, which runs complex macros. Each to their own...

Yes, but I find the eARC output a bit flaky. I don't want the TV to have any control over my other A/V equipment; in my setup, all control's routed through my Aram A/V receiver, & I use the one remote - a Harmony Ultimate, which runs complex macros. Each to their own...

I iused a Harmony for a while, couldn't get on with it at all. They have been discontinued now too.

I don't use any AV equipment either, my TV goes into my Hifi if I want a more emmersive sound, but overall the soundbar in the TV is excellent. I like a one box solution myself. Less clutter.

Horses for courses as you say, if the OP uses a lot of AV equipment something to consider, but the eArc does its job for the everyday user if its required.

Some good advice, thanks. Confusing me even more as my Son looked at me like I was an Alien, said phone Sky to update to a Q Box. Surprisingly as a V.I.P. customer we are now set to get loads of extra stuff free, cancel our Netflix and apart from the reduced price of £20 for the box, are now paying less than we were before. I've given less thought to buying cars,lol.

Sky Q is excellent if expensive overall. I will probably get a new telly at some stage for downstairs but i do really like the Panasonic set I have so will move it upstairs into the office.

Some good advice, thanks. Confusing me even more as my Son looked at me like I was an Alien, said phone Sky to update to a Q Box. Surprisingly as a V.I.P. customer we are now set to get loads of extra stuff free, cancel our Netflix and apart from the reduced price of £20 for the box, are now paying less than we were before. I've given less thought to buying cars,lol.

All markets are a mindfield now!

Wait till you need to buy a new mattress...

I sprung to attention where I read that, but recoil at the implication. What is it about mattresses then?

Definition of a mistress used to be something between mister and mattress.:)

Simba, Brook Wilde, Emma, OTTY, Nectar, Casper, Dormeo, Sleepeeze,Sealy, Herdy, Eve, Dreamcloud, Ergoflex,

Soft, medium, firm, extra firm

Hybrid, Foam, Sprung..how many springs? what foam? what layers? thickness?

and thats before you have even gone into a bricks and motar store...and then theres the mattress fitting machine at Dreams....

I had never been so exhausted in all my life.

I iused a Harmony for a while, couldn't get on with it at all. They have been discontinued now too.
That's why I've got three of them! Logitech have committed to supporting their higher-end remotes for the foreseeable, and for those of us with complex A/V systems there's nothing to touch it.

Simba, Brook Wilde, Emma, OTTY, Nectar, Casper, Dormeo, Sleepeeze,Sealy, Herdy, Eve, Dreamcloud, Ergoflex,

and thats before you have even gone into a bricks and motar store...and then theres the mattress fitting machine at Dreams....

Needed a lie down?

That's why I've got three of them! Logitech have committed to supporting their higher-end remotes for the foreseeable, and for those of us with complex A/V systems there's nothing to touch it.

I love the Ultimate as well. The macros make all the different setups great to program although it can be a pain is someone insists on switching the TV and Sky box on via the original remotes so they end up out of sequence. I have tried hiding the original remotes ;-)

If I were you I'd sleep on it before making a decision. ;)

Well on the off chance everyone is not sleeping now, went to shop, liked LG OLED but asked about the 'missing' stuff on the Sony. Guy clicked on NowTV on the screen and lo and behold, All4, i-Player, etc, etc so ordered the Sony. Scary moment looking at the 55" when the wife wondered if the extra 10 inches was worth another 700 quid, thankfully she saw sense. Opens the floodgates for a divergence from mattresses or maybe not:)

the wife wondered if the extra 10 inches was worth another 700 quid, thankfully she saw sense. Opens the floodgates for a divergence from mattresses or maybe not:)

70 quid an inch! I'm diametrically opposed to such extravagance, but at least mattresses are measured longitudinally by feet, I believe.

We had a risk-free opportunity to try a 48 inch LG, to replace our 2009 Panny plasma (still going strong, and remarkably heavy).
The picture is remarkably detailed, even on SD, sound seems ok, but as we have a Bose TV speaker plugged in to the HDMI ARC socket, and don't watch movies very much, we use that, and it still sounds good. Sound and vision options
However, I do miss the simplicity of the Panny, as accessing multiple menus is still confusing, but will hopefully get easier, and manuals are not easy to find and not always easy to find what I need.
I had to re-do the initial start-up menu several times, as it kept losing channels on Freeview, or changing tuning completely. It also has Freesat, but it's not easy to find how to access it. Hopefully it will get easier before my 60 day trial ends, or it may go back.
Most apps we use are pre-installed, but we still have the 4K Firestick to call back on.

Another AppleTV 4K user here and I’m no fan of Apple generally so I would advocate fishies using the screen as a display, sound via hifi system and Apple/firestick/other as source for a cheap replaceable approach meaning the screen just displays for years and tech and app changes become less important.

In my case the Apple provides Zwift for smart trainer cycling, streaming apps of Amazon and Netflix, YouTube, Eurosport app for sports of interest to me, BluTooth compatibility to headphones for watching and not disturbing the family etc. It has changed my habits completely in that I could surrender the TV licence if I wanted as I actively have to pick up the TV remote and change the inputs to live TV and frankly only do so for about 5 mins once a week, grumble about it all being dire then switch back to the Apple box.

The screen in use is a 40” 4K lcd but I have a similar approach with the 55” ‘cinema room’ 2K OLED, that one being driven from a Kodi box used to access my movie library stored on NAS. The little boxes will be changed as needed to drive the screens in future years.

It’s quite something to have these modern options to suit our lifestyles, I sometimes think of how our ancestors would be amazed by it all.

advertisement

Back