advertisement

Sony A7Rii Lens Recommendations

Robby

pfm Member
I have put an order in for an A7Rii (prices are astounding at present for them) and wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a first lens that doesn't cost the earth. Will add something of a higher quality when funds allow but first would like something that won't embarrass itself.

Thought's up to now are any one of the following:

Samyang 35mm f2.8
Sony 50mm f1.8
Sony 28-70 f3.5-5.6 (I had this a while back on an A7 when I had one and it wasn't too bad - not sure how it would cope with the 42mp sensor though).

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,

Rob

The Samyang is excellent (and wonderfully small).

However, reading your other thread, I see you were looking for a midrange zoom? If so, might be worth considering the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f4 or if you can stretch to it, the Tamron 28-70mm f2.8 (which is supposed to be excellent)

Hope this helps

Lefty

Can you get the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 for that Sony? It's a very good lens on FF for not a lot of cash.

@SteveG - afraid not. The midrange zoom options are (in increasing cost)

Sony Zeiss 24-70 f4
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Sony 24-105 f4
Sony 24-70 f2.8

Of course you can adapt third party glass onto the camera (like I am doing with my Nikkor 24-70 f2.8, but that has a number of drawbacks)

Lefty

Lefty's got it pretty well covered. :)

I hear very good things about the Tamron 28-75-2.8 and now the lens' initial focus issues have been resolved (via firmware) it would be my choice for a midrange zoom. Tests have shown it's actually capable of out-performing Sony's own 24-70 2.8 GM in some areas. It was also designed as an E-mount (FE) lens from the outset which is going to be a good thing imho.

The Sammy 35 is a peach though - tiny, very light, sharp enough to do justice to that amazing 42MP Sony sensor. I use mine loads...

From my RII:

Lincoln Cathedral by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Thanks for the suggestions Lefty. Most are a little out of my price range (should have been clearer on that).

Looking for something sub £400. A zoom would be great but I need to wait unless I picked up the 28-70. The Samyang 35mm looks good value and would be a good walk around lens in the first instance I think.

Have heard conflicting reports on the 24-70 f4 and so would be very interested in your thoughts if you have tried it.

How much are you paying for the A7Rii? In my mind, you should be paying around two-thirds of that for a lens.

advertisement

Back