advertisement

Sonos advice sought.

ports1000

pfm Member
I am soon to be moving to a house with a very large sitting room connecting to a kitchen/diner. I want to keep the main system in the sitting room but sometimes would like to sync music to the kitchen/diner to some Play 1 speakers.. I do not want to compromise sound quality when only listening in the sitting room.

Music is currently streamed from a Synology nas via mac mini,dac and pre amp
If possible, how can I listen to music in the sitting room without using Sonos but be able to switch to having music in both rooms when I want to?

Presumably I need a Sonos Connect and some Play speakers.

Any help gratefully received!

Yes, and yes!

Connect in the lounge, and a Play 1 in the kitchen is a good combo. If the Connect (or the Play 1 for that matter) can be wired to your router you're done, otherwise you'll also need a Bridge.

Just to add, as you've probably already worked out the Connect is basically a source component that you'll connect to your existing system. Personally I find the sound quality outstanding, but you'll form your own opinions.

I also think the little Play 1 is the pick of the Play range, easily as good as most normal kitchen/bedroom radios and a nice form factor.

In terms of playing the same thing in both the rooms Sonos excels in keeping the sound perfectly synchronised. The only possible issue is that if they're far enough apart and one is a lot louder that the other then the simple laws of physics (speed of sound) will apply and you may manage to create issues, but that's pretty unlikely.

As you can tell, I'm a fan of the Sonos system.

Another big Sonos fan here. If you get a Connect, you can use the separate line-in with your main system (if you have an extra output on your (pre-)amp or a tape-loop) and play back anything from your living room in other rooms.

advertisement

Back