advertisement

Sonolith ?

k4pog

Banned
Guys.....I`ve recently been offered a pair of "Sonolith" speakers,but I know absolutely nothing about them
Also,a google search shows up pretty much nil info aswell,so any of you chaps know much about them,and are they worth anything ?

I auditioned these years ago but wasn't sufficiently impressed to pusue taking them on. As I recall, they were rather raw sounding, heavy and very expensive.

I have no idea how many pairs they actually made but if they are at a very good price they would be worth hearing.

They are / were the most awesome realistic speaker I've ever heard. A touch on the cold side because they don't add their own warmth or colour. I heard these in Tom Evans own system many moons ago. They weigh a ton & were made from a resin cast concrete.

I actually have a similar set up but made in Mdf - the drivers alone cost around £1000 without the cabinets.

photo here

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/tomevans/lineara_2.html

Hmm....many thanks for the info guys,but I`m reluctant to make an offer on them as there`s no boxes (no surprise),so that limits me selling them on
Also,it`s anybodys guess how much they`re worth really ? £50,£100,£1000 ??
I guess it`s the old "however much somebodys ready to pay" conundrum really....
I think I`ll leave them be...

I can't remember how much they were priced at - certainly a few Thousand. At the right price they should be a good enough buy providing spares are available for the drivers. What would you feel comfortable paying ?

You can still get in touch with the designer Patrick (paddy) Handscombe, a genuine nice guy. He writes for some motor cycle magazine these days, despite his missing limb...

If they are the three driver version with the aluminium drivers i reckon they have to be worth £600 of anyones cash.

These are the actual ones (along with a pair of Michell Alectos)
Sonolith.jpg

I think the ones in Tom Evans photo were around £5-£6 K IIRC

I'd assume circa 3.5K for the ones offered & I never saw a sonolith with a port - I thought they were only sealed
they look like a larger driver though & if so would have been more expensive

The drivers are still made though have been updated & renamed

best bet is get hold of paddy handscombe for more info

I'd reckon on 30/35Hz - 25Khz with first order crossover around 100/120hz

my experience is these show up poor studio production in that you can hear the joins especially on heavily engineered music - 10cc is a good example

With the Tom Evans version my everlasting impression was The Beatles outakes where Paul Mc dropped a glass & you could hear the glass & shards fall across the floor. It was a bit spooky to be honest, like having ghosts in the room.

best is to have a listen if possible.

Absence of boxes isn't a show stopper for resale. I've just sold and (re)boxed some biggish speakers. All you need is lots of corry cardboard and a couple of rolls of parcel tape, if you can get some polystyrene sheets well and good, this allows you to double box if necessary. Takes an hour of labour once you've got all the stuff together.

Dunno what these are worth. Between 500 and £1k seems a reasonable range.

One point worth doing if you do get to listen - these speakers are recommended to have a severe toe in 60 degree from rear wall plane. This gives a rock steady central image 1m or so back from their crossing point. Off axis listening still gives the central image.
try at 60 then open up from there. Experiment with placement. Normally placed anywhere between 1.5m to 2.5m apart. The further apart they are the more you want to move further away.

Well,thanks again guys for the info,but they`re a 400 mile round journey from me,so popping over for a listen/view isn`t that straightforward !
I`ll have to give it some thought...

it would cost in the region of £400 to get the latest drivers for your particular model without crossovers & without cabinets

prices have not changed drastically since they were originally made

Yes and no really !....as I'm currently away,a frıend of mıne bought them and wıll be advertısıng them soon I belıeve

advertisement

Back