advertisement

Sonny Rollins on BBC4 tonight

saturn9

pfm Member
Starting at 9 o'clock with a documentary, followed by concert footage at Ronnie Scotts in 1974 followed by a tribute to Ronnie Scott.

Yes. Spotted it. I went to an open-air concert at Rivinia, Chicago, must be over ten years ago, in which Sonny Rollins was playing along with Cyrus Chestnut. The enery of Sonny Rollins was phenominal. I used to look forward to those annual concerts but my son subsequently moved to New Jersey.

Will record and watch when my wife is at WI.

Agreed. Superb stuff.

Anyone any idea which record shop Courtney Pine was interviewed in? Looked a really nice one.

Most enjoyable. A nice turn from Ornette at Sonny's 80th birthday concert.

Surprised to see bagpipes used in a jazz band - is that a first?

Agreed. Superb stuff.

Anyone any idea which record shop Courtney Pine was interviewed in? Looked a really nice one.

It was Honest Johns in Portobello, I was in there on the Sunday he did the interview - I may even be in the shot! Not a bad shop but mainly reissues.

mat

It was Honest Johns in Portobello, I was in there on the Sunday he did the interview - I may even be in the shot! Not a bad shop but mainly reissues.

LOL, I know that shop and didn't recognise it - went there most weeks when I lived in Shepherds Bush!

Most enjoyable. A nice turn from Ornette at Sonny's 80th birthday concert.

Surprised to see bagpipes used in a jazz band - is that a first?
That was an awesome gig.

Rufus Harley, the Bagpipes guy, is actually quite well known. He made 4 albums as leader for Atlantic in the 60's. I think I first heard him on a Luv n' Haight compilation about 20 years ago.

Just watched the doc. Excellent. Now spinning "On Impulse!". Much estimated by me it would seem. So...what are the essentials I need?

advertisement

Back