advertisement

Sonneteer Orton vs Naim NAC 202 / NAP 200

ryder

pfm Member
Right folks. After getting the Sonneteer Orton into the system, I have been busy investigating this amp on various audio forums although I could listen and form impressions on my own. Nevermind that.

The Orton is now being compared to the bare Naim 202/200 (without napsc and Hicap) in my second system driving a pair of Dali Mentor Menuet. Now, this is more like it.

I enjoyed the Sonneteer Orton in this system a lot more than the other system with the Harbeth Super HL5 Plus. Different room, different speakers and different source/DAC.

The small Dalis sound more exquisite with the Orton than Naim especially with piano. As mentioned by many, similarly I find the tonal accuracy or purity of the Orton to be very good, surpassing the 202/200's level. With quality recordings (especially piano), the tonality and refinement of the Orton just shine through. The touch is more delicate with the Orton, just a pure tone.

This time the bass quality of the Orton matches the Naim specifically the 202/200. Previously it was a landslide win for the 282/250DR/Hicap DR. Perhaps the speakers play a part too as the diminutive Dali with 4 inch drivers can't produce much bass. Nevertheless, the bass quality or performance between the Naim and Sonneteer is almost on par. Results may vary if other loudspeakers are used.

In summary, I find the Sonneteer Orton to be a fine amp when properly matched. The Orton may not have the drive and low end grunt of larger amps but it compensates with a highly refined, delicate and airy sound. Nothing calls for attention as it just plays music without anything sticking out like a sore (or desirable) thumb, whichever way one sees or hears it. The Naim particularly the NAC 282 makes things a bit more exciting with notes sounding heavier and slightly more energetic with more impact. The LFD Zero Mk3 sounds more illuminating in the highs and more punch in the bass. The Orton just gets on with the musical delivery. To me, the Orton is less coloured than the Naim and LFD but still has high levels of clarity and transparency for a musical delivery. Nevertheless, apart from personal preferences, speaker match is equally essential. I still prefer the Harbeth Super HL5s driven by the Naim 282/250DR, perhaps a matter of preference. Although the Orton may be very good, the Harbeth sounded a little dull with it when compared to the 282/250DR. This Naim combination surely injected some adrenaline to the speakers and turbocharged it.

Here's a picture of the Orton next to the 202/200. I suspect the Orton will match very well with forward/bright/detailed speakers or speakers which are easy to drive with its pure and delicate presentation (as opposed to the more in-your-face style of say the Naim).

20190808-131800.jpg

It is a keeper to me. The Orton.

Seconded. I found my Orton nicer sounding than my 202/200 Naim combo even with a HiCap plugged in! It is an incredible sounding integrated amp. Sweetest treble, no harshness and a beautifully weighted bass. The only time it’s limitations were an issue was at party time, as “loud” it does not do.

Sadlythough, the Orton is no longer a HiFi bargain as the price has shot up of late.

I also had an LFD LE iv signature and that was even better sounding than the Orton but I got fed up getting up and down like a yo-yo to adjust the volume!

Last edited:
Seconded. I found my Orton nicer sounding than my 202/200 Naim combo even with a HiCap plugged in! It is an incredible sounding integrated amp. Sweetest treble, no harshness and a beautifully weighted bass. The only time it’s limitations were an issue was at party time, as “loud” it does not do.

Sadlythough, the Orton is no longer a HiFi bargain as the price has shot up of late.

I also had an LFD LE iv signature and that was even better sounding than the Orton but I got fed up getting up and down like a yo-yo to adjust the volume!

I was still busy listening to both amps, occasionally switching between them. We surely share the same impression.

The performance of the Sonneteer Orton is very much dependent on the speakers that are matched to it. Despite some remarks about the excellent combination between the Orton and Harbeth Super HL5s, I don't find that to be the case as I find the Naim 282/HicapDR/250DR to be superior. I'll get to that later.

Now, with the Dali Mentor Menuet the Orton surely showed its potential. The Naim 202/200 is still a capable amp despite all the criticism and hate thrown at it. I still recall trying 6 to 7 amp combinations in attempt to salvage the Harbeth Super HL5 non-Plus 9 or 10 years ago before settling down with the 202/200. The Naim provided the best match with the Harbeth back then. The fairytale story ends here. When compared to the Sonneteer Orton (I should emphasise with suitable speakers), the 202/200 suddenly didn't sound good anymore.

I would be repeating the good points of the Orton if I continue to elaborate on the differences so I'll keep it short. The Orton surely does the subtle stuff better than the 202/200. The delivery is more sophisticated and matured owing much to the improved tonality particularly reproduction of piano. There is more meaning with the musical message that is being delivered by the Orton as you hear deeper into the music. That is the best I can describe to separate the Orton from the Naim.

Also, I commented earlier on the bass quality of the 202/200 and Orton to be almost the same. After some extended listening sessions I now find the midbass of the Orton to be more tuneful and detailed than the 202/200.

Similarly I find the Orton to find great at low to moderate volume levels. It loses composure at high levels.

Based on my current (limited) experience, I think the strengths of the Sonneteer Orton will shine through when used on speakers that are not only transparent and detailed but sound a little forward or enthusiastic. Played at low to moderate volumes in a near field or mid field.

The Sonneteer Orton currently excels in my second system driving the Dali Mentor Menuet in near field configuration as I listen at 1.5 metres from the speakers, low to moderate volume. Room is not ideal but sound quality is good, better than Naim 202/200. :)

The Orton didn't fare too well in the main system with the Harbeth Super HL5 Plus although I was hoping that it would. Setup is far field as I listen at 4.0m to 4.5m from the speakers. My supposition is either the Orton is underpowered for the Super HL5 Plus(likely) or it's my preference for a more robust, lit and dynamic sound which the 282/HicapDR/250DR amply provided. The Orton although highly refined is a bit tame when matched with the Harbeth.

System or speaker matching is crucial for the Orton to shine. No shame though as the Sonneteer Orton is £2,495 retail while the Naim 282/HicapDR/250DR costs almost 4 times as much at £10,096. Not exactly a fair comparison but when compared to the 202/200 the Orton came out tops. The Orton is still in a bargain in my book. The higher cost is partly due to the new metal remote which costs £495.

Good point about the remote. I often adjust the volume on the remote even when playing a single track sometimes.

The LFD Zero mk3 did leave a huge impression when I tried it in my system but I don't miss it anymore.

advertisement

Back