advertisement

Songs that were used to torment you as a child

droodzilla

pfm Member
Hello, my name is Nigel and I'm a - Oh! Hang on!

Sorry, wrong forum. What I meant to say was...

Hello, my name is Nigel and this song was used to torment me when I was a child:

The other kids used to follow me around saying "Nigel", in the annoying way that Colin Moulding sings it, until I burst into tears.

I'm OK now though.

So, come on chaps, share the pain. Think of this thread as your own personal primal scream session.

Dwight Yokam used to get blasted out of the Renault 5 if my da had time off and drove us into school to avoid bomb scares or bad weather etc. My youngest sister cried with embarrassment.

I aked my parents a lot of questions about this. "Why is father Christmas touching her?"
They replied with a vague 'when you're older' but kept playing it.

Last edited:
I used to get called Elvis for a while after Elvis Costello because of the nhs glasses and I liked him too. Better than Gordon anyway...

Didn't annoy me at all but along the same train of thought.

or

One of my aunts would often sing, ‘Michael row the boat ashore’ when I was in the room.

Hello, my name is Nigel and this song was used to torment me when I was a child:

A long time ago I was making a TV programme with a director named Nigel. One morning I told him (truthfully) that the previous night I’d dreamed about editing a sequence of the presenter walking round Safeway (as it was then) to music by XTC.

“Oh”, he sighed “I suppose it was ‘Making Plans for Nigel’?”

That possibility hadn’t occurred to me. “Er, no... it was ‘That’s Really Super, Supergirl...’ ”

He stared at me disbelievingly. I think he was secretly disappointed.

Fortunately I’ve only ever been referred to by my surname, like Morse, and so never suffered the OP’s torment.

My first name is Simon.

Mrs seagull is a huge fan of Grease despite sharing her name with the main female character.

Torment may be the wrong word, but my father used to think that playing this very loudly through a stereo 20 and a pair of Kef Concertos constituted children's entertainment.....

Heard a song when I was 4 years old. I remember hating it with a vengeance, plugging my ears with my fingers. The passing of sixty years hasn’t changed my mind.

This piece of excrescence- “Little White Bull” by Tommy Steele.

My first name is Adam (I was named after Adam Faith who my mother liked).

When Adam Ant got succesful - at school in Leicester I was always being called Adam Ant.

To be honest - I found it irritating (I was into Kraftwerk and New Order).

In a music lesson a Sikh lad tried the Adam Ant joke out one too many times. I passed him a note that read:-

"Waste Ground After School"

...this was code for a scrap (I had to wait until after school as I was a prefect).

Most of the school turned out...

...he threw the first punch but I rode it. I caught him with a massive uppercut to the chin (which lifted him clean off his feet and had him falling back into some stinging nettles).

The fight was over and I was the hero of the hour (I was never called Adam Ant again)...

...but later that evening it transpired that the punch had broken my middle finger.

I do recall the endless crap compilations that my parents listened to on a Sunday morning. The nadir was undoubtedly ‘Stages’ by Elaine Paige. What a hateful piece she’s turned into, hates cycle lanes, little did I know that her presence would cross my orbit;)

They also developed a liking for what can only be described as Irish Country Music, it takes me back to never ending days of boredom.

I have developed a taste for maudlin county music though, the more miserable the better.

advertisement

Back