advertisement

Songs That Remind You Of London.

London girls - vibrators
The prisoner - the clash
Friday on my mind - London
You really got me - Hammersmith gorillas

'We Are London' by Madness captures the city as it is. A wonderful place for people all over the World to make of their lives whatever they wish. Side by side, in harmony. Those who don't know London would probably not believe it, but it's the only place I've been in the world where so many different races, religions, classes and sexualities of people really do 'get on' side by side. That really shows in the community spirit when the odd idiot tries in vain to break the community.

Lyrics:

From Regent's Park mosque on to Baker Street
Down to the Cross where all the pipesmoke neat
To Somerstown where somethings never stop
The Roundhouse, The Marathon Bar and Camden Lock

Down to Chinatown for duck and rice
Along Old Compton Street, the boys are nice
On Carnaby you still can get the threads
If you wanna be a mod, a punk, a ted or a suedehead

In all the nightclubs, strip joints and the bars
From it's poorest paid to it's highest stars
The poets, plumbers, painters, spreads and sparks
From it's inner city to it's furthest parts

You can make it your own hell or heaven
Live as you please
Can we make it if we all live together
As one big family?

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, we are London
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, London's talking
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, we are London
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, London walking
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na
Na, na, na, na, na, na, na

Last edited by a moderator:
Other great lesser known London songs I have in a playlist:

Loudon Wainwright III - Primrose Hill
Christy Moore - Missing You
Smiley Culture - Cockney Translation
Pulp - Mile End
Pogues - Transmetropolitan

Forgot about that one, a truly London album.

Bloss

Anyone who likes Madness but doesn't have The Liberty Of Norton Folgate really needs to get it. It is arguably their best work.

The whole album comes across as a work of passion for London, Music Hall and Ska. The title track is a 10 minute epic ode to the city bringing in changes in tempo, beats, traditional music and sounds of multicultural London to a stunning climax. Can't recommend it enough.

The CD/DVD version has started going for good money which is probably testament to that.

Anyone who likes Madness but doesn't have The Liberty Of Norton Folgate really needs to get it. It is arguably their best work.

The whole album comes across as a work of passion for London, Music Hall and Ska. The title track is a 10 minute epic ode to the city bringing in changes in tempo, beats, traditional music and sounds of multicultural London to a stunning climax. Can't recommend it enough.

The CD/DVD version has started going for good money which is probably testament to that.

Now you tell me, I had the box set but the record was not a great transfer, sold it and bought the cd only which is better than the record.

Another OK Madness record is Mad Not Mad, but not as consistent as Norgate.

Bloss

The Jam - "A" Bomb in Wardour Street

Released as a single B-side on Polydor (c/w "David Watts"). The track was later included on their album "All Mod Cons".

The story goes that when Paul Weller was about to sign the record contract with Polydor (then located on Wardour Street), the street was closed off due to an unexploded World War II bomb when he arrived there.

"There's an 'A' bomb in Wardour Street
They've called in the Army, they've called in the police"

Nick Lowe - Basing St.

1979 single B-side (c/w "Cracking Up"), released on Radar Records.
The song is referencing a murder on the street in Notting Hill.

"Whose hand made the boy
Suffer and bleed?
Who did the deed
On Basing Street?"

Jackbarron pipped me to London Calling, but West End Girls (if that is the correct title) by the Pet Shop Boys comes to mind.

advertisement

Back