advertisement

Songs I'd sing at a karaoke

gassor

There may be more posts after this.
I can't sing, but I've done a karaoke once and enjoyed it. My grown-up kids do it all the time. So on the basis that you never know when it could happen to you (forewarned is forearmed) having a couple of songs ready just in case isn't a bad idea. Here goes:

1 Everybody Needs Somebody to Love ala the Blues Bros
2 Maggie May
3 See-Saw - by the great Don Covay.

PS (If you have no intention of ever singing in public, great, just keep it to yourself and we'll all get along just fine. :))

1 We Will Rock You,
2 Kingston Town, UB40.
3 All right Now,

Never done Karaoke never been asked..

I have sung Karaoke a few times.

1) New York, New York
2) Delilah
3) Too Much, Too Young (in St.Lucia - it went down well with the locals...)

Reactions: MVJ
Have done Karaoke a few times when seriously under the influence, only songs I remember singing are Rocket Man and Tainted Love though I have definitely butchered some other ones too.

I do remember a mate trying to do The End by The Doors once, only lasted a couple of lines before he was threatened with lynching:D

Not slagging off Karaoke, only your choice of songs/versions.

1 everybody needs somebody to love - wilson Pickett.
2 ?
3. See-saw - indeed by the great Don Covay (or, It's Better to have)

Your a sound fellah gassor.

Bloss

Not slagging off Karaoke, only your choice of songs/versions.

Chris, this is going to sound weird, but my little brain sees me on a stage and the Everybody song starts and I can go "I want to thank everyone for coming here tonight etc ..." and then I do the "And I need you, you, you" while pointing at people in the audience. You have to communicate with the punters. Maggie May because everyone knows the words and See-Saw because of the raucous chorus that everyone can join in with while I dance away to my heart's content. The reality would probably to be bombarded with beer and spit and booed off after 20 seconds. :)

PS a pal (definitely the worse for wear) who was a big punk fan, went on stage at a trendy club and sang 'I want to be your Teddy Bear' and went down a storm.

Jackie by Scott Walker.
I was drunk in a karaoke bar in Paris and my friend got up to do Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks. He dried up and motioned me to the stage with a slightly desperate look. We ended up doing it in a slightly John Lydon stylee. Unsurprisingly the locals were not impressed. After we sat down we wondered what Seasons in the Sun was doing on a Parisian karaoke list. Until the clever one amongst us remembered the original was by Jacque Brel (as was Jackie) in French and there must have been some affinity (rewritten by Rod McKuen into English Wikipedia tells me).

Ouch. Bad choice there. To be fair I wouldn't have known, but I always choose "Born to be wild" because it's just a simple bit of rock and roll and hard to screw up.

Tom Waits - In The Neighbourhood.
It used to be a post pub favourite; and the only time I'd inflict my voice on an audience would be if I was steaming.
Maybe a Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry song, as me and im indoors always have an affectionate piss-take singalong to him in the car.

The world has not had to suffer my singing voice for some time but when I was punishing it...

Proud Mary (CCR esque)
Games Without Frontiers PG
...and the last time I deftly murdered The Black Lodge by Anthrax.

House of the rising sun

My wife seduced me in a bar in Australia whilst she was singing Cher.

Weirdo.

Something on a Sinatra tip.... "All the way" or "Come fly with me" maybe but never "new york new york" or "My way" which should both be banned!

Have never done pub karaoke, but did Punk Rock Karaoke with a live band many times. My faves were...

Killing in the Name - RATM.
New Rose - The Damned.
Too Drunk to **** - The Dead Kennedys. .. great times.

Have never done pub karaoke, but did Punk Rock Karaoke with a live band many times. My faves were...

Killing in the Name - RATM.
New Rose - The Damned.
Too Drunk to **** - The Dead Kennedys. .. great times.

nice list - Jello Biafra sings soo fast, me and my mate try and keep up with him, Plastic Surgery Disasters is fun...

nice list - Jello Biafra sings soo fast, me and my mate try and keep up with him, Plastic Surgery Disasters is fun...

Thanks… yeah, it takes some keeping up. First song I ever tried was their punk version of Kylies Can't get you out of my head.. don't ask, I was set up, but it went surprisingly well.

Last edited:
The last time I did karaoke was years ago out with the uni taekwondo club and the buggers nominated me (unbeknownst until announced by the DJ) to do I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred... Quite certain I didn't pull it off.

If forced now I'd do Poor Edward by Tom Waits, just for different.

I've got to arrange a karoke for a social evening. What's the best source for the backing tracks with words, I have a PC with projector.

advertisement

Back