advertisement

Songs and Music That Make You Cry

I once went to the funeral of a man ( a patient of mine) who had been part of a male voice choir.

Arriving at the small church (at Church Warsop, Nottm) I could hear the choir singing, his friends. I cannot recall what they were singing, but I was instantly streaming. I stood at the back for the service, then the choir started up again. I think I cried for 30 minutes solid. (old memory tears flooding me now)

A few years ago I was on holiday in Wales, and we were having a lunchtime pint outside the Harbour Inn in Solva nr. St. Davids. The carpark, which is huge and part of the harbour had the male voice choir that had won a competition at an Eisteddfod. All the men had pints in their hands and they started to sing. I was overwhelmed immediately. I distinctly remember my teenage kids taking the piss out of their softy dad. Again, I don't know what they sang, but the sound was pure, deep and strong. A top memory.

Judy Collins - I can't cry hard enough
Derrin Nauendorf - Leave me tonight (live)
Both of these always have an instant effect on me, but to be honest it doesn't take much to set me off. I'm not much of a real man I guess.
If music didn't affect me emotionally I wouldn't bother with owning a decent stereo.

There are soo many classical pieces that slay me that it is hard to know where to start. This piece had me from an early age re: The Onedin Line, it turns up in the wonderful film The Hudsucker Proxy (amazing film, Cohen brothers & Sam Raimi)
Khachaturian >

I need to mention Henryk Gorcki - symphony #3, Brahms symphonies 3 & 4 and of course Mahler. I actively avoid listening to the records I have of my favourite classical pieces, because of the copious tears that are guaranteed. I think I should confront myself, and play them again.
Oh yes, cannot forget Mozarts Requiem K.626 especially the Lacrimosa.

Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel....can make me bawl though not always
Here comes the flood by Peter Gabriel.....nearly always

Moments of Pleasure - Kate Bush
Spiegel im Spiegel - Arvo Part
Kathys song - S&G
For Emily - S&G

Kentucky Avenue - Tom Waits I pretty much can't listen to this without bleating lol.

I sometimes get over involved in music and movies. I was asked to leave the cinema both times I went to see 'Dead Poets Society'....I still have no idea why it has such a profound effect on me.....I still find it tough going though my friend at the time thought it was absolute crap.

Wow - almost instant wave of meloncholy when listening to Avro Part - Spiegel im Spiegel. Wet eyes winner! I tried to fight it but slayed me. It sucked the tears out of me.

I do like Tom Waits and Peter Gabriel but didn't know those tunes. I listened to those songs, but they didn't hit the tears button. Both lovely though.
I note that all the music I played that you mentioned had piano in them.

Emotions are very easily manipulated by musical composition. I have heard composers speak about this often, but it is all WAY beyond me...………….rising thirds and all that, or whatever...………….

I absolutely adore Mariza and everything that she does (fardo and fardo-jazz fusion) , but I speak no Portuguese (or Spanish), but her voice and music is so god-damned chilled, and more morose if your mood takes you...………………..amazing, truly stunning, wonderful music

Never heard of Mariza. Didn't know where to start, at 20 million+ views I started here >

Quite beautiful, I also do not speak spanish or portugese but the emotion is obvious. Not my normal cup o tea, glad I heard it, no sniffs here.

Music is my life and John Peel had a big impact on my formative years (I'm struggling to keep it together right now). My friends and myself all now in our mid to late forties were heartbroken when he pasted away. When his his name is mentioned from time to time you can hear our voices break.

What gets me is suddenly hearing his voice in the midst of some multi-disc archive trawl box set (e.g. the Floyd, Third Ear Band) or on Radio 4 whilst I’m doing the washing up. I doubt the shock of such moments is going to diminish over the years.

My own personal tearjerkers:
Pet Shop Boys “Being Boring”
Simon & Garfunkel “America”

OH god I'd forgotten about Rockets Tail :(

What a voice! As per usual, I have never heard of this man. Lovely. (no sniffs)

For reference, I am playing songs via youtube - ipad 9.7 bluetoothed to Roksan K3 amp > PMC FB1i speakers

Also this makes my skin crawl every time....Was listening to it whilst visiting Angkor Wat a few years ago and felt like I'd been plugged in lol

This music reminds me of Blade Runner, Chariots of Fire. I do not know the film it is from. Pleasant, but I kept thinking of Vangelis as it played.

'This Table,' > the "empty spaces" line is telling. Lovely, I only usually associate Fascinating Aida with more comic songs. Having lost some very close friends - this has meaning for me.

'Look Mummy, No Hands' - I understand this, but didn't like it. Probably reflects my feelings towards my parents.

Loudon Wainwright III, again, someone I have never heard of. Not my style. Reminds me (probably wrongly) of Nick Drake, someone else who does nothing for my ears.

My own personal tearjerkers:
Pet Shop Boys “Being Boring”
Simon & Garfunkel “America”

I was also going to mention ‘Being Boring’. The lines that get to me most are:

‘Now I sit with different faces
in rented rooms and foreign places
All the people I was kissing
some are here and some are missing
(in the nineteen-nineties)

I never dreamt that I would get to be
the creature that I always meant to be
but I thought in spite of dreams
you'd be sitting somewhere here with me’

Kind regards

- Garry

This Woman's Work - Kate Bush as already mentioned, the most perfect beautifully emotional vocal and a great song anyway.

Two more:

Schiller - I Saved You (vocal by Kim Sanders) - the song is stunning anyway, but her vocal is what makes it. Also has a bit of personal meaning to me.

Peter Gabriel - Father, Son

[/URL]

Reactions: GJO
There are also songs that have gained a different or deeper meaning due to their association with real life events.

Ariana Grande’s ‘No tears left to cry’, together with Oasis’ ‘Don’t look back in anger’, to take recent examples.

‘You’ll never walk alone’, going back a bit further.

For some people, Queen’s ‘I want to break free’, or even David Hasselhoff’s ‘Looking for freedom’ (!), do the same thing, belying their original throwaway nature.

Spiegel Im spiegel does make me cry

Second time I have heard this piece this morning, I think I like the violin version better although nothing wrong with the mournful cello. Definitely music I want to hear again. I shall play this to my granddaughters, see if they crack. One of them will, sure of it. (9 year olds)

advertisement

Back