advertisement

Sondex S230 Amp

I have one of these, bought in the 80s, owned from new, nint condition.

Paid around £180 for it originally, made in Bristol I think.

Does anyone know anything about these? is it worth getting serviced or should I replace with a modern NAD or similar?

Thanks,
Kevin.
These got very good reviews at the time. Of course, it might be that UK reviewers were very enthusiastic in supporting small Brit makers against the Japanese onslaught.

I still have one of these, I bought it to pair with Mission 700s and an AR deck in the 80s.

It has a quite restrained presentation which suited the 700s perfectly given that the AR deck was paired with a Mission arm (also quite toppy).

I have looked at the ad, I have owned a lot of Naim stuff from 90/92 pre-power to my current two olive systems CDS2/XPS/52/SC/250/SL2 and for vinyl LP12/Akiva etc/52/SC/250/SBL and I can tell you that imho the Sondex (still in use in my sones vinyl system) would struggle to match a decent Nait and would not get near a 92/90.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Kevin

Hi there, anyone got service details/ circuit diagram for the Sondex S230?

Would appreciate them, I'm trying to help out a friend with one that has a blown channel.

Thanks

My brother had a pre/ps/power back in the 80's went to buy a Meridian amp, turned up with a Sondex!! Horrid mix of black and brown boxes, but sounded reasonable.

It was sold off to fund his world tour, a fella travelled 60 miles with his LP12 and MF speakers to audition and bought them because he thought they were better than Exposure .

I bought an S230 which was ok (I preferred the Cyrus one) but I touched the speaker wires together and got magic smoke……...

Hi there, anyone got service details/ circuit diagram for the Sondex S230?

Would appreciate them, I'm trying to help out a friend with one that has a blown channel.

Thanks

I was given this amp by the friend a few years ago, still need service details / circuit diagram? Thanks.

advertisement

Back