advertisement

Sondex S230 Amp

kasbridge

pfm Member
I have one of these, bought in the 80s, owned from new, nint condition.

Paid around £180 for it originally, made in Bristol I think.

Does anyone know anything about these? is it worth getting serviced or should I replace with a modern NAD or similar?

Thanks,
Kevin.

What does it sound like?

Don't asume that modern is better, certainly where amplifiers are concerned.
If you like the sound I'd be inclined to service it.

91.jpg

I thought there was a Radford connection but I don't think it morphed into the QED amp did it ? That was an awful cheap and nasty product.

A bit mad...yes - no connection there as far as I know...all those 'reasonably priced' amps looked similar back then ;).

I had one of these in 1984. Its USP at the time I remember was its passive preamp - similar in design to one of the recent Naits in that respect I guess. It was 30 rather polite watts as I remember - cleaner than the 25w Nytech receiver I had been using, but I sold it on after 6 months in favour of some valves, which worked wonders with the LS3/5as I was using then.
I suppose my view was coloured by using those speakers, though it did teach me a bit about system matching.
Quite a nice design for the time though. Better made than the Nytech stuff!

Anything (almost) was better made than Nytech. Did you ever open one up to find an intermittent fault amongst the rat's nest ?

I had one as a student before discovering the pleasures of valve amps. It replaced an original Nait. At the time (1983/4) it was the best <£250 amp I could find & I did try the Cyrus & Audiolab alternatives aswell.

I recently bought a Marantz Pm4 of a similar vintage and I'd say now that the Marantz probably was the best new amplifier I could've bought for that price back then. But the TMA3 was nice and made a great job of driving some Gale 401's I subsequently acquired which definitely weren't an easy load. It was beautifully made inside too. I never heard the tuner. The aesthetic minimalism of the Myst designs did appeal to me though, simple & elegant.

Hi all, I have been reading this post, and I have located a SONDEX S230 on ebay,
Im thinking of bidding on it
but the seller has a Input Matching Module listed for it
He states its a MM2 Module,
Does any one know about this AMP and the MODULE please

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONDEX-S230-Amplifier-SUBLIME-AMPLIFIER-W-O-W-/320632346769?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item4aa72d5891#ht_2496wt_1141

Its got a few days to run but it looks like a nice amp

Thanks in advance
GRF

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi all, I have been reading this post, and I have located a SONDEX S230 on ebay,
Im thinking of bidding on it
but the seller has a Input Matching Module listed for it
He states its a MM2 Module,
Does any one know about this AMP and the MODULE please

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONDEX-S230-A...2346769?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item4aa72d5891#ht_2496wt_1141

Its got a few days to run but it looks like a nice amp

Thanks in advance
GRF

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back