advertisement

Soncoz SGD1 User experience

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
I've been asked a couple of times to comment on the new SGD1 which I've owned for a short period now.
My system isn't very high res and I'm not very experienced but... I'll do my best.

Ok , first things first - Keith @Purité Audio. He's prompt, polite and enthusiastic. He's cheaper than Amazon and you are supporting a small UK business. What's not to like? I would buy off him again without hesitation. Also, My SGD1 arrived boxed and then wrapped in two layers of brown paper - how quaint. It was like getting a package from your favourite aunty :)

My previous dac was a Khardas tone board which I had purchased because I'm skint (doing up a new place) and it said on Audio Science review that the Khardas has great measured performance and sound for very little money. It did sound good and it was cheap. It didn't instil any pride of ownership.... but you get what you pay for right?

I bought the Soncoz because it looked like a 'real' piece of kit ( I'm an audiophile and I love the kit ), it had some great reviews, it seemed superb value for something state of the art and also because sq liked it - sq is merciless so if he says its good, then it probably is. ( I'm about 96% serious)

Ok, build quality is fine, the controls work well. The LED back lighting is soft and classy. The multi-function volume control thing looks and feels a bit cheap but works well enough. I'm using the optical input for a Chromecast audio and the coax for my cd player. I haven't logged the unit onto my wifi because you have to download an app and I cant currently be arsed.
Sound quality genuinely surprised me. I vary between thinking that the stuff Amir comes out with on ASR is a load of measurist crap or thinking he is really shaking up the established rules of the audiophile game with his strict approach to distortion and noise. Often I just 'dunno'
Anyway, when compared to the Khardas or my CD player on its own the SGD1 is a real step up that was immediately obvious. Actually, it completely changed my digital sound from CD. There was a better portrayal of rhythm, bass was apparently deeper and more sonorous, but there was much more bass definition much more sense of bass guitars being vibrating, stringed instruments rather than just dum-dum-dum noise makers, the sound stage is much wider and deeper. Studio effects are laid bare. Its just enjoyable and great audiophile fun.
The first track we played was from Tears for Fears "Songs from the Big Chair" I bought this album when it first came out, I know it really, really well..... As the first notes played through the Soncoz, I said 'wow'.
It wasnt night and day, they were the same notes from the same instruments, just with more definition and resolution. You couldnt miss it.
I'm enjoying the Soncoz SGD1. It isnt coloured but it is colourful. Its neutral but not boring and it has brought much beauty to my listening.
I think its a bargain.
PS. The Soncoz didn't really improve Spotify via the Chromecast Audio much - I honestly don't think there was much more to come - in my system CD is streets ahead of Spotify .... I keep it around so my loved ones can easily use my system which matters to me. I should get a Tidal subscription but I hate subscriptions and somehow already have a few of them.

Last edited:
Hi Darren,

Similar position here. Keith is ssending me a Soncoz unit ..it should arrive next week.

Competition is a Khozmo pre and a Chord 2Qute through SHL5+ Anniversaries so if this box is merely AS good I'll be very chuffed indeed. I'd be able to lose one box count in my setup too.

In addition I'll be doing some room EQ with to see if I can get the Harbs to integrate with my sub in an effective way (that's on another thread though..)

All in all great advice and service from Keith ..highly recommended!

If it beats or matches Khozmo/2Qute, exactly what is in my bedroom system, then it really is quite good.

Hi Darren,

Similar position here. Keith is ssending me a Soncoz unit ..it should arrive next week.

Competition is a Khozmo pre and a Chord 2Qute through SHL5+ Anniversaries so if this box is merely AS good I'll be very chuffed indeed. I'd be able to lose one box count in my setup too.

In addition I'll be doing some room EQ with to see if I can get the Harbs to integrate with my sub in an effective way (that's on another thread though..)

All in all great advice and service from Keith ..highly recommended!
Very much looking forwards to your comments vs the Chord Moppit. Everything crossed!

Got one coming next week also. Had a TeddyDac for years and also the K2 Dac built into a JVC amp that is very good. It might be a bit Techie for me but we will see. Has anyone used bluetooth with their TV or smartphone?

Got one coming next week also. Had a TeddyDac for years and also the K2 Dac built into a JVC amp that is very good. It might be a bit Techie for me but we will see. Has anyone used bluetooth with their TV or smartphone?
Haven't tried the bluetooth yet Marky. Dont worry yourself about the tech - its not my thing either, you can just plug the thing in, select the input you want and go.

NOTE TO EVERYONE: I didnt get batteries for the remote which is annoying: you need two triple A. Also you dont get a printed quick start guide. Nothing in fact so download the manual ready.

NOTE TO EVERYONE: I didnt get batteries for the remote which is annoying: you need two triple A. Also you dont get a printed quick start guide. Nothing in fact so download the manual ready.

Batteries not included. I didn’t get any with mine either, I think it’s normal, a bit stingy for a product at the price, but normal practice.

Luckily always got a supply of AAAs as I've got other remotes like my Minix box that require them. Poundland good for kodak equivalent of duracell

The Soncoz demo unit arrived today around 4.30pm so not had much time to set up and have a listen. No ab comparison or scientific study here, just plug in and go.

It's a lot more weighty (phsically) than I expected, similar in proportion to my Khozmo pre though nowhere near as sexy ( !?)

Sound quality through my Harbs is remarkable. No glare, great detail and bass definition. I was expecting hardness, veiled or grey dynamics after a passive pre and the Chord 2Qute. Nope! Lovely tunes. Even at low volumes. I need to spend more time to See IF there are any flaws that make it a showstopper. So far I can't find any negatives but dangerous to jump to conclusions after a stiff drink or two.

Works seamlessly with the Quad QSP, I'm using LMS through a Pi2 into an Allo Digione (with Shanti PSU).

Watch this space for more review thoughts.

Thanks Keith for the delivery. Speak soon!

Moppit

Sound quality through my Harbs is remarkable. No glare, great detail and bass definition.

Which is what I said! Glad to read that you are hearing the same things Moppit. Hope you continue to enjoy.

Slight downsides, only 1 rca output, so headphone amp connection a pain for me. Also no analogue inputs so you can't use with your turntable. Still these are very cheap fixes...

The remote is very functional though weighs about 1 tenth of the Khozmo. Still, unlike the Khozmo it let's me switch inputs, filters etc and volume. The volume display is nice but input selection impossible to read from a distance with my crap eyesight. Its very small with no fancy OLED display, just a few hieroglyphics.

The functionality is clearly designed by clever, I mean very clever engineers rather than a marketing department though judging the overall looks they need to get out more..or just be allowed out at least once.

Sound is still mightily impressive though.

The Chord not had a look in since. I'm wondering if the cable from my passive to the Quad was too long as I'm getting so much more top end detail . .the Harbs sound more alive than ever.

I urge you all to have a listen regardless of what you told your wives the amount you spent on your last high end DAC. I'm shocked..

One other point which will certainly be clouding my judgement here is that I've gone from a passive to some gain on the pre which I'm guessing is pumping up the dynamics. Now with my previous MNaim amp this was uncomfortable with the Harbs but since this has such a clean top end everything sounds marvellous..

Slight downsides, only 1 rca output, so headphone amp connection a pain for me. Also no analogue inputs so you can't use with your turntable. Still these are very cheap fixes...

The remote is very functional though weighs about 1 tenth of the Khozmo. Still, unlike the Khozmo it let's me switch inputs, filters etc and volume. The volume display is nice but input selection impossible to read from a distance with my crap eyesight. Its very small with no fancy OLED display, just a few hieroglyphics.

The functionality is clearly designed by clever, I mean very clever engineers rather than a marketing department though judging the overall looks they need to get out more..or just be allowed out at least once.

Sound is still mightily impressive though.

The Chord not had a look in since. I'm wondering if the cable from my passive to the Quad was too long as I'm getting so much more top end detail . .the Harbs sound more alive than ever.

I urge you all to have a listen regardless of what you told your wives the amount you spent on your last high end DAC. I'm shocked..
Can I ask what fix you have in mind for the lack of analogue input?

Just one of those schitt switching boxes will do the trick. I also have a Tisbury passive which is a brilliant piece of kit. I very nearly sold it!

I guess any old analogue switch unit will do the trick but be careful matching impedance if going between valves. Could get messy.

With the Tisbury you can do impedance matching to a certain extent.

One other point. There is an on off isolator at the back which is really annoying.

No power button the remote or front.

Then I realised the unit turns itself off after 10minutes of inactivity..d'oh! More clever stuff. Dunno if it's me but the filters don't seem to mess the sound up in any way. In fact I can't really tell the difference?

As a further testament to the quality of the sound I have this cranked up a serious volumes and my ears are not bleeding on some tracks which would have me cringing and rushing for the remote. Harsh unbalanced system? You need one of these..

Having jumped on the SMSL M400 train, following glowing reviews elsewhere on PFM, I bought one on Amazon, as a 30 day return was being offered. I thought it was ok, not stellar, but felt something was missing from it's sonic performance. The measurements were superb on XLR, but I use RCA to connect to my power amp and once the RCA output was identified as having a performance issue on another forum, I realised I was not experiencing the peak performance of this DAC. With a week to go before my 30 day return ran out I approached Keith at Purité Audio to enquire about a trial of the Soncoz SGD1. He very kindly sent me a brand new one, by next day delivery, and asked me to take my time to decide whether or not I would like buy it. A day after plugging it in and the SMSL is on it's way back to Amazon. The Soncoz allows the upper registers to flow and shimmer, whereas they were stunted on the SMSL's RCA output. SMSL have said they will provide tools and a capacitor to adjust the RCA performance, not the greatest customer service after paying £700. Anyway, I'm very impressed with the Soncoz and together with a £300 saving over the SMSL, I'll be keeping it.

I never tried the smsl on rca, but on balanced out I couldn't tell the soncoz sgd1 and the smsl400 apart. I have a vague lasting impression that the smsl might shade it in the treble slightly and the soncoz in the bass, but I couldn't pick em blind.

Looking forward to hearing my SGD1 from the balanced outputs...it will need to wait until I've assembled my Neurochrome 686...

advertisement

Back