advertisement

Something New in JRiver MC, MC19 now available

Peter Stockwell

Back for more ...
I just installed the new version, and I thought it sounds better than the previous version. More natural, let's say.

Evidently there's a host of new features with MC19 that are not strictly related to audio, but one that caught my eye was the playback from memory feature. Up to 18 this was playing back from encoded data in memory.

Some show a preference for .wav files, rather than .flac, arguing that the "on the fly" decoding has a negative effect on SQ, didn't want to believe it myself, and never did a comparison .wav vs .flac.

In the new version, playback from memory, it's the decoded data that's held in memory. Which may explain my suspicion of more natural sound quality, or not.

Any other early adopters out there ?

Aha, Hello Pete, funny you should say this! I also got the email today and spent an hour updating to JRMC19. My first impressions were that its sounds crisper and betterer! especially on darker toned vocals, but then again it can't can it; bit perfect is bit perfect, right ;)

I have changed some of settings though. But nothing that should effect the sound in principal....

I was going to start a thread to ask if anyone had experienced a SQ difference :)

You lot are delusional you know all players sound the same:rolleyes:

You should try the new R128 Replay Gain thingymewhatsit. That really f00ks up the sound, sounds like there's a sock over everything!!

But the memory playback, defo sounds like Raj sez, crisperer betterer, new improved recipe, etc. Ooh, I don't know kind of like relaxing into the music rather than being impressed with hifi pyrotechnics, kind of thing.

Some one will have to deaf, dumb and blind test it, innit ?

How's that done then? will try this having DSD..

Tools > Options > Audio > DSP & Output Format > Output Encoding: DSD in DoP Format (or maybe 2 x DSD - dunno if your Mirus can do it)

Will only take effect once playback has been stopped.

It's also probably worth making sure you have ASIO selected ie Tools > Options > Audio shows Your DAC [Asio]

because I think the live DSD only works with ASIO.

You should probably be able to click Tools > Options > Audio > Device Settings > Open Driver Control Panel and you should get the Thecysus driver control panel, which enables you to set Streaming Mode (I use extra safe) and Buffer Size (I use 8096)

They do say that Memory playback has been amended.

Quote:

MC19 simplifies audio setup, switches to an industry-leading audio
analysis system (based on R128), adds user accounts, enhances memory
playback, supports more audio features during video playback, supports
real-time DSD encoding, protects against plasma burn-in, enhances
Gizmo's experience, and more. You can expect many additional
improvements this year.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade_Questions

Tools > Options > Audio > DSP & Output Format > Output Encoding: DSD in DoP Format (or maybe 2 x DSD - dunno if your Mirus can do it)

Will only take effect once playback has been stopped.

It's also probably worth making sure you have ASIO selected ie Tools > Options > Audio shows Your DAC [Asio]

because I think the live DSD only works with ASIO.

You should probably be able to click Tools > Options > Audio > Device Settings > Open Driver Control Panel and you should get the Thecysus driver control panel, which enables you to set Streaming Mode (I use extra safe) and Buffer Size (I use 8096)

Cheers Andy, can do any type of DSD DXD DoP etc etc... so will give it a try :) Whats your impressions of the 'on the fly' conversion?

I've just upgraded JRiver on my office set-up. Will upgrade on other computers including the CAPS music player. Let' hear what it offers.

Peter

I will install MC19 at the weekend, I like 18 controlled by Plug player a lot, my favourite streaming is it.

DS

I have Gizmo on an Nandroid tablet, I prefer Plugplayer, because it works on all the streamers and handheld devices is it

There (For Wysjar)

DS

Will also update to v19 at the weekend.... I've been putting it off for a couple of weeks since first release because I know there will be regular updates to it. I run it on a headless nettop which kicks off jriver on startup but whenever there is an update you have to click on a windoze confirmation thingo so I have to go and remote desktop into it. Does anyone have a way of auto-acknowledging those pop ups?

I put the beta version on my laptop to try it out but may try it on my main system mini PC now. I bought the upgrade when it was really cheap seems like a bargain. Is it stable enough to use in anger yet?

It is strange jriver have gone down the memory route given their position on jplay and that any bit perfect player cannot be improved upon.

I think it is, I got the mail a few weeks ago offering the super cheap upgrade price also. Waited till a more stable version, which arrived recently. I think its good enough now, yes.

I use it on headless net-top PC also, have it set to auto boot to server mode. Windows itself requires and does its own auto updating and reboots from time to time. JRMC does also in the same process.

advertisement

Back