advertisement

Some system decisions to make ...

mattjevans

Having gone down a few rabbit holes over the past week, while I'm getting to a landing on various systems, I need some help on:

1. Does anyone have any experience with the Fidelity Audio Level 1 upgrade to the Wiim Pro, adding a low jitter clock ?

2. For my dining room system, I'm a bit stuck on speaker/amp combo. It's not a huge room, c 5m x 3.5m, as no intention to play music at high levels. Source/pre-amp Meridian G61R SL with Sonos Port. The speakers have to be against a wall on either side of a sideboard (or if monitors, on the sideboard), so need to be VERY position insensitive. Easiest thing would be Meridian M6's but I'm just not sure. Shahinian Compass could also be an option, no idea what to power them with.

3. For my home office (near field), what I'd really like is a dCS Debussy and a set of active small PCM's, but that's £8000. or £10,000 with a clock. And my budget is realistically under £2k. And under £1k would be better depending on what I spend in the dining room. Source is Tidal from a Mac Mini, might eventually do Dirac in software.
Thinking either a pair of either PMC Prodigy 1 or ATC SCM7 (both are available used right now, the ATC's at a more attractive price). USB DAC thinking the ubiquitous Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt (alternatively something like an Audiolab M-DAC+). ATC's and Cobalt would get me under £1000 with still 200-300 to spend on power.
So, appropriate power or small integrated amp suggestions happily taken. While Puresound A30 (used) would be fun, it seems just too pricey relative to the system.

On near field for your desk I would highly recommend actives. I picked up some AVI jobs from back in the day and they are bloody marvellous. I just hooked up a node to them but you could use something more fancy if money is burning a hole. Lots of active speakers out there.

Almost unlimited choice for your main system. I'd be tempted by Wilson Benesch

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Almost unlimited choice for your main system. I'd be tempted by Wilson Benesch

Good shout - had totally forgotten about these

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ok by way of update, here is where I got to so far in terms of purchases:
Office in London - Naim V1, Naim NAP200 (factory serviced 2018), Neat Iotas
Home office - DAC still TBC, Creek OBH-12, Linn LK100 (serviced and upgraded by Kevin Green), Audience Clairaudience The Ones
Dining room - Sonos Port to dCS (!!!) Purcell Upsampler, for the moment directly (via AC12, for those who care) into Meridian DSP3200’s

advertisement

Back