advertisement

Some questions about old-school Naim gear

On the subject of speaker wire... I really don't fancy paying £200 for some of the Naim cable. Any other (cheaper!) suggestions?

The following will all be "safe" alternatives to A5.
Naim NACA 4A - more flexiable than A5 and appropriate for the age.
Linn K20 - Basically the same as the above.
QED 79 Strand -Not tried it, others say it's OK.
Exposure cable - Half way house between Naim A4 and A5, slightly fuzzy compared to A5.
Cable Talk 3.1 - The old version. Not tried it, nice and cheap though.

Simon

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look. Should have enough bits and bobs to at least fire the kit up at the weekend so will report back!

Tommy.

I'd say at a guess the 12S would fetch £200, the 160 £250-300, in good order. These prices are serviced with same-spec bits, maybe a tad more.

Modding it with exchange boards seems like a great scheme as it's reversible. Best of all worlds, like installing underfloor heating in your Jacobean farmhouse but retaining the original fireplaces and stonework.

I'm wary of getting too precious about these things. If it really is the Jaguar D type that won Le Mans then you'd be a fool to start "tuning" it. Better to buy a fibreglass replica with a 4.2 engine and play with that. However if it's just some 80s Porsche, then sympathetic mods go a long way. Better that than preserving it as some smoky, rattly 30 year old banger or paying a fortune to have something "restored" and ending up with all the performance of a modern Astra diesel. It's for you to decide where your amp lies on this continuum - I'd say it's an 80s Golf GTi, no great history but not as disposable as a Fiesta.

Wouldn't the 160 be worth more? The going rate for 140s seems to be 350 - 450, so for a 160 which has more charisma I would have said 450 - 600. But I may be wrong.

These thing are worth what people will pay for them. The number of people wanting the 160 will be limited. No 160 in good working condition will be original. An original amp is interesting, but not much good at playing music in the medium to long term. The breakdown of the electrolytics is a sort of time bomb in something that is 30 years old. Financially if nothing else.

So much will be down to condition as regards to what you might pay. In the UK you can expect to pay the following;

Even a cosmetic shed of a NAC12 missing knobs, phono boards and in need of work will make £50. A good condition complete example might make £100-£150, perhaps up to £250 for a well cared-for and recently Naim serviced unit. Rarities like the very earliest units and genuine Naim dual rail versions (utilising 2 NAPS or SNAPS) may exceed these prices. Adjust accordingly for official Naim updates such as ALPS Blue pot, new socketry, updated boards, Naim-type RCA phonos or BNCs in place of the early phono DIN, and 5pin DIN DR update.

The pre-'80 NAP160 again will depend on condition and servicing. Expect to pay anywhere from £150 for a wreck up to £500 for a superb recently Naim serviced example. The post-'80 NAP160 generally attracts a premium and the very best with a recent Naim service might set you back up to £600 or more, although an unserviced example with good cosmetics should be around £400.

Ok, got home and cracked it open;

5872DDCF-0EEA-40F3-A63B-12C4BCA52F20_zpskdngwyoz.jpg

The three main electrolytics caps are dimpled are will require replacement;

F470BE84-5194-43FC-8A35-4E9EDED31C51_zpsqtsz0qaj.jpg

The 3300µF cap has cracked and the electrolytic solution has leaked down the side;

089B884D-B6F8-406C-A3AC-13A4511F4FD7_zpsa7mfwodm.jpg

Is there a preferred brand or supplier to replace them with? Looking for 2x 10000µF and 1x 3300µF @ 40V or higher.

Tommy.

BHC ALT 10,000/40v as used in the 180 would be the factory choice. I use the ALS series at 10,000/63v from RS as they're stunning here and have a lot more headroom and longer life. Then I put a little Kendeil in for the pre-amp supply. It works really well as a package.

advertisement

Back