advertisement

Some comparisons

RoA

pfm Member
A quick comparison between my headphones after perhaps 3 weeks with them (the Grado I had for some time). I am no headphone expert so rather than going into great detail at this stage I just compare them to each other. All totally subjective and your mileage ... . All EQ'd in Roon.

Soundstage:
Best; Beyerdynamic DT700 ProX joint 2nd: Hifiman Sundara/Meze 99 Classic 3rd; Grado SR80X

Accuracy:
Best; Beyerdynamic DT700 ProX 2nd: Hifiman Sundara 3rd; Meze 99 Classic 4th; Grado SR80X

Most Accurate Bass;
Best; Beyerdynamic DT700 ProX 2nd Hifiman Sundara 3rd; Meze 99 Classic 4th; Grado SR80X

Bass Slam;
Best; Meze 99 Classic 2nd; Beyerdynamic DT 700 ProX 3rd; Hifiman Sundara 4th; Grado SR80X

Best Midrange;
Best; Beyerdynamic DT700 ProX, joint 2nd; Grado SR80X / Mezze 99 Classic 3th; Hifiman Sundara

Best Treble;
Best; Beyerdynamic DT700 ProX Joint 2nd; Mezze 99 Classic / Hifiman Sundara 3rd; Grado SR80X

Most Fun;
Joint 1st; Mezze 99 Classic / Grado SR80X 2nd; Beyerdynamic DT700 ProX 3rd; Hifiman Sundara

Most 'resolving';
Best; Beyerdynamic DT700 ProX 2nd Meze 99 Classic 3rd; Hifiman Sundara 4th Grado SR80X

Easiest to drive;
Joint 1st; Grado SR80X / Meze 99 Classic / Beyerdynamic DT700 ProX 2nd; Hifiman Sundara

Build;
Best; Joint 1st; Mezze 99 Classic / Beyerdynamic DT700 ProX 2nd; Hifiman Sundara 3rd; Grado SR80X

Comfort;
Joint 1st; Hifiman Sundara / Beyerdynamic DT700 ProX Joint 2nd; Grado SR80X / Mezze 99 Classic

Accessories;
Best; Meze 99 Classics ... then the others

When I receive the Sennheiser H58X Jubilee and had a little time with it I will try and do a more proper evaluation including showing EQ settings and explaining my findings/reasons. Some of the above may change in the meantime.

Last edited:
Interesting results.
Very subjective things, headphones.

I found the Beyerdynamic 700 Pro X just a bit bland and uninspiring.

Based on your previously posted findings, RoA, I suspect my head is the wrong shape for Meze 99! I just couldn't get them to sound plausible. I had the NEO.

I've not heard the Grado SR80x, but I've struggled with comfort issues with on ear Grados, and generally the sound is a bit bright for me. Although I didn't have decent eq to hand during my Grado ownership phases.

Sundara would be my own pick of your bunch, I think.

Very impressed by my recently acquired Sennheiser HD 600, once EQed to my taste.

Currently listening to heavily EQed Audioquest Nighthawk. Definitely a contender as well.

Reactions: RoA
Yes, a lot has to do with personal preference (and head shapes). I like the Sundara too.

Spent some time last night swapping between my HD 58X Jubilee and the HD 599SE - the cheaper pair won - easier to drive, so possibly sound more engaging?

The Beyers sound very interesting, you obviously like them.
They do come on and off my radar, but as yet not had a listen. I am looking for a pair that I can use in the lounge while my wife watches TV/reads and can run off a phone, from your comments, they could be perfect.

Yes, I like them a lot. The only 'downside' to them is that they are factory tuned to maximum so that any bass increase results in audible distortion. The factory balance is relatively neutral with slight brightness.

However, they respond sensationally to EQ, in my case Roon. By pulling the pre-amp level down, then applying EQ they are music makers. No distortion, great bass and sound stage for a closed back and satisfying at any volume.

The Mezze 99 Classic (and Neo I would guess) are a more 'musical' HP as factory tuned but they also respond great to EQ and get better in the process. Not as subjectively accurate as the Beyer perhaps but just as enjoyable.

The Beyer blocks outside noise better.

Yes, I like them a lot. The only 'downside' to them is that they are factory tuned to maximum so that any bass increase results in audible distortion. The factory balance is relatively neutral with slight brightness.

However, they respond sensationally to EQ, in my case Roon. By pulling the pre-amp level down, then applying EQ they are music makers. No distortion, great bass and sound stage for a closed back and satisfying at any volume.

The Mezze 99 Classic (and Neo I would guess) are a more 'musical' HP as factory tuned but they also respond great to EQ and get better in the process. Not as subjectively accurate as the Beyer perhaps but just as enjoyable.

The Beyer blocks outside noise better.

I have found some locally and they have a demo pair I can try in store. I did demo some Meze 99 Classic a while ago and wasn't so keen.

My Picks from my collection:

Soundstage:
Best; Beyerdynamic. DT880’s

Accuracy:
Best; Sennheiser HD600

Most fun:
Best; DT880’s & AKG 501 (with Dekoni Pads)

Easiest to Drive:
Best; Sony MDR7506

Comfort:
Best; AKG 501 (with Dekoni Pads)

New Category;

Best Bluetooth:
Best; Sennheiser Momentum 3’s

Not planning any more acquisitions at the moment but you never know... I have been watching the decreasing prices on the Sennheiser HD800s.

LPSpinner.

I am adding the HD58x Jubilee to the above.

It's certainly different and a great addition to give a different spin on things.

Some first impressions on the 58X. - They are engaging, reasonably fast and punchy. They are somewhat mid forward/lower mid forward. Voices are close, closer than any of my other HP's. No harshness though, very smooth. Treble is clean, very sweet and well integrated though not as detailed or as airy as either the Mezes, Beyers or the Sundara. Equal to the Grado's perhaps. Rhythmically good, perhaps very slightly better than the Hifiman, less so than the Grado and Beyer and equal to the Meze. Bass is fine, upper bass is quite punchy and I managed to EQ them to provide fairly extended and even bass after a bit of trial but it's neither as powerful as the Meze's, as controlled and solid as the Beyer not as extended as the Hifiman. Having said that, many would probably find the HD58's bass satisfactory in isolation.

At first I really enjoyed the full and present midrange but after a while it became a little 'oppressive', taking away from the rest and to be honest, I missed the sound stage of the others, all of which did better in that respect, Grado included. The others also revealed space between instruments/performers better.

Enter Roon EQ. a bit adjustment and the HP is imho better now. with a sound that is probably still preserving much of what is so liked and talked about the 6 series but now having a resemblance of sound stage and better focus and space. It still lacks technically to some of the others but does midrange different than others and for that I like it and will keep it for the moment. - Its a phone you can listen to fatigue free and is comfortable to wear, at least after some headband persuasion! Easy to drive too at 150ohm and decent sensitivity so no elaborate amplification needed.

Build quality seems basic but fairly solid, mostly plastic with metal grilles and headband. I am sure they last.

If the other existing 6 series HP's are similar I would recommend them, though perhaps not as an only Headphone. I think there is just too much missing for them to be all rounders. My headphone experience is limited but at £130 delivered UK the 58X Jubilee seems a bargain in the same mould as Grado's SR80X. Both flawed but hugely enjoyable.

Looking forward to hearing the new 660S2 and Meze 109 Pro.

Last edited:
My EQ settings for the 58X Jubilee. It's a nice HP to listen to now to my ears. You may prefer different/none.

Screenshot-2023-02-01-at-17-50-28.png

advertisement

Back