advertisement

Solti Ring remastered in 24/192

Found this on another well known site:

index.php

Seigfried's funeral march, top 1984, bottom 2022. Make of it what you will.
Siegfried's Funeral March from Götterdämmerung? I thought the release date for that 2022 re-master was not until the end of June 2023 (at least according to Amazon UK).

I look on the comparison with some suspicion based on the writer's claim of "downloaded from a certain lossless streaming service". On Qobuz the most recent Solti Götterdämmerung seems to be 2012. Have I got this wrong? Has the 2022 already been released? Is the comparison actually from somewhere else?

Anyway, having listened last night to Acts I and II of the Siegfried 2022 re-master I am listening right now on Qobuz to Act III. It certainly seems to be mastered at a higher level than I recall from my 1997 CD set. However nothing seems obviously clipped to me (ditto for the two previous operas). When Götterdämmerung 2022 appears on Qobuz I shall certainly pay attention to Siegfried's Funeral March to make up my own mind.

Found this on another well known site:

index.php

Seigfried's funeral march, top 1984, bottom 2022. Make of it what you will.
I suspect that 2022 re-mastered version came from a preview disc, but the full Götterdämmerung was released today. It is up on Qobuz in both CD-resolution and 24 bit 192 kHz.

It's not my favourite version but still excellent and a landmark achievement, so I am sampling it right now. I feel a longer session coming on soon to see if I can perceive any re-mastering problems of the sort indicated above.

Thanks John. I've only done some casual listening and do feel it's mastered hot but maybe not to excess.

... I've only done some casual listening and do feel it's mastered hot but maybe not to excess.
I agree having now listened to the complete opera. It's not excessively hot.

The album replay gain declared by Qobuz on the 2022 Das Rheingold is about 1.25 dB more than for the 2012 re-master (not provided for the other operas). Maybe that's about how much the level was raised. However, I still cannot hear what was gained from raising the mastering level at all, at least for the target buyer I am thinking of.

I agree having now listened to the complete opera. It's not excessively hot.

The album replay gain declared by Qobuz on the 2022 Das Rheingold is about 1.25 dB more than for the 2012 re-master (not provided for the other operas). Maybe that's about how much the level was raised. However, I still cannot hear what was gained from raising the mastering level at all, at least for the target buyer I am thinking of.
I've come to this party late having seen your reference on another thread. I noticed you mentioned there being an atmos mix of this- I can;t see any reference to there being a surround version on the SACD version-can you point me anywhere?
I note the comment above about Decca saying that the analogue masters were unplayable when making the 2012 version (which bought). This does lead one to raise one's eyebrows.

I've come to this party late having seen your reference on another thread. I noticed you mentioned there being an atmos mix of this- I can;t see any reference to there being a surround version on the SACD version-can you point me anywhere? ...
Sorry, but I don't recall mentioning an atmos mix and I don't have any pointer to offer.

Edit: I did find mention of an Atmos mix here: https://www.deccaclassics.com/en/ar...-ring-sounding-better-than-ever-before-267505 so maybe I did point to that page after all.

One of these days I'll get round to listening to a Wagner opera all the way through... Until then, I'm with Rossini: "Wagner has lovely moments, but awful quarters of an hour" :rolleyes:

Die Meistersinger is wonderful from beginning to end - a continuous stream of melody. And no giants, dwarves, buried gold or magic swords.

The plot is ridiculous, of course - this is Wagner after all. A rich gold dealer decides to marry his only daughter off to a struggling musician in a kind of X-Factor competition. Yeah, right, as if that's going to happen in the real world.

OMG here it comes again... how many ways do you want it?......

One of these days I'll get round to listening to a Wagner opera all the way through...

Until then, I'm with Rossini: "Wagner has lovely moments, but awful quarters of an hour" :rolleyes:
The Wagner conductor who does exactly that to me is Barenboim. He has for me, a sense of dramatic flow. Above all else, when he’s conducting, he is story telling in a very compelling way.
Shudder to think what Wagner, a man free with with his negative opinions of other composers, might have said about Rossini.

Shudder to think what Wagner, a man free with with his negative opinions of other composers, might have said about Rossini.
They did actually meet, in Paris in 1860.

I think it was guarded compliments all-round. After the meeting Wagner said this to the music journalist who had brought them together

‘What would [Rossini] not have produced had he received a thorough musical training; above all, if, less Italian and less sceptic, he had felt in him the sacred nature of his art? … I must say this: of all the musicians I have met in Paris [which included Daniel Auber, Fromenthal Halévy, Ambroise Thomas, Charles Gounod, et al.] he is the only one who is truly great.’ ”

They did actually meet, in Paris in 1860.

I think it was guarded compliments all-round. After the meeting Wagner said this to the music journalist who had brought them together

‘What would [Rossini] not have produced had he received a thorough musical training; above all, if, less Italian and less sceptic, he had felt in him the sacred nature of his art? … I must say this: of all the musicians I have met in Paris [which included Daniel Auber, Fromenthal Halévy, Ambroise Thomas, Charles Gounod, et al.] he is the only one who is truly great.’ ”
I think Beethoven who was flattering to his face, opined to someone else that Rossini's teacher “should have kicked his arse”.

advertisement

Back