advertisement

Solid state amplifier to replace the tube amplifier

Peter_Tos

pfm Member
Hello.
I would be very grateful for your advice.
I am looking for a low power solid state amplifier that would work well with my Diatone KB610MT. Unfortunately, tube amplifiers are giving me too much trouble. I'd like the amp to just work and I wouldn't have to think about how soon I should be changing tubes and doing tune-ups. I might suggest that a solid state class A amplifier might be a good alternative to a tube amplifier. I need your ideas and recommendations. My speakers are quite high sensitivity and 1 watt is enough in my opinion.
Thanks.

A little Rega Io maybe but I have no idea how noisy the thing is into super sensitive speakers. You won't loose much if you try a s/h one.

NVA make the little Personal Amplifier, good for high sensitivity speakers. Low power.

I replaced a pair of EL34 mono blocks (with tube preamp) with Luxman 590 AXII and have been very happy. This might not be the price point you are looking for - but supports your thoughts that Class A solid state can sound very good after tubes. Also a good integrated can sound very good after pre/monoblocks.

Sugden A21a or other Sugden class A models depending on budget.
Of course there's a few alternatives when it comes to Solid-state class A amps, Krell, Pass-labs , Accuphase and Luxman to name a few.

Depends on budget etc., maybe an Enleum Amp-23R? Different, for sure, pricey, yes, but it can sound mighty fine with the right source and speakers.

In your shoes, I'd take a close look at the FIRST WATT SIT 1.

SIT%201med.jpg

Truthfully, I've never heard one myself, but we owned a FIRST WATT J2 for many years - too much power for your needs - and it was utterly superb!

Evidently, if your loudspeakers are sensitive enough, the FIRST WATT SIT 1 is superior to the FIRST WATT J2.

NELSON PASS knows what he is doing - and failures are next to none.

I have first-hand experience of the Luxman L590 AX, the Pass INT-25, the PrimaLuna EVO100 integrated, The Bow Technologies Wazoo. This is just my opinion, but I never got along well with Class-A or MOS-FETs. They seem to have a slightly dense, creamy forward voice that sometimes takes transparency off instead of easing it. As for valve amps, a so-called warm, analogue sound is not a fact to be automatically expected. The PL is a PP of EL34s, fine but I have heard more open, immediate and clear sounding solid states.

In the end, a not too powerful, good Class-AB is presently my choice. I have Klipsch Heresy IIIs, temporarily wired to a rega Brio3. Not perfect, but damn good for the cost. Another excellent, cheap amp was a TEAC A-H500i that I regret having sold when convinced that excellent names also meant excellent sound.

LFD PA0 (SE) if you can find one. :)

One of the most “tube-like” solid state amps I’ve heard. Very reliable amps too.

To a Class-A tube amp - for sure. A Single Ended one. But in my opinion a push-pull tube amp may not be so different from a push-pull solid state.
Depends on source in use with my experience. A tubed phono stage in a PP valve amp can make a LOT of difference to a vinyl front end. If you're streaming or playing CD's, the I agree. PP valves amps frequently don't have the valve cream that many love.
My answer to the OP Is Nelson Pass' First Watt amp. Only heard one once but it was amazing little thing.

There’s a Sugden a21a on eBay at the minute, BIN £650. Good price for a cracking amp. I’m sticking with valves, but was tempted at that price.

It’s my answer to most amp questions admittedly, but how about a Quad 303? I happily use one in my main system when my valve amp is on the naughty step.

moonriver amps would be very suitable . would be superb with your system . pretty sure there is an ex dem model in classifieds

Having heard countless valve and solid state designs, in my opinion neither has a 'sound' - warm valves are a myth, as is strident or harsh solid state. My standard response here is to seek home demonstrations, either from a dealer or from hosting a bakeoff, and choose the amp that most suits your speakers and room. This may be Class A, but it may not, it is more about the balance you are seeking and which solid-state amplifier suits you, your system and your room.

advertisement

Back