advertisement

[WTD] Soldering iron for £50 or less

loz_the_guru

pfm Member
To be used for working on small circuit boards, so ideally with a small tip. My trusty Weller needs a tip replacement and the only place seems to be a Pinball shop in Canada, so it might be time for a change.

I’ll dive in with my standard recommendation for the trusty Antex XS25. As simple as it gets, reliable, and tips cheaply available in many sizes and shapes. I’ve never felt limited by it at all, and whilst I spent proper money on a desoldering gun (Hakko FR301) I’ve never felt the need to do so for a soldering iron.

PS I’ve not embarked on SMD work though, so maybe that is the point I’d want a change. I don’t know. I can certainly deal with DIL chips etc with the XS25.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Do you mention Canada because you are in Canada? Otherwise, tips are freely available in the UK - Amazon, RS, Farnell.......

Alas not for my creaking model. It's a 921ZX. I've searched high and low and found nothing but would love to be proven wrong!

I second the recommendation for the Antex. Last for years, spares and tips are easily available. Just get the 25W one as it will do most jobs and a selection of tips and you are good to go.

Alas not for my creaking model. It's a 921ZX. I've searched high and low and found nothing but would love to be proven wrong!

Your iron seems to have originally been made by Ungar and seems to have been more than just an iron. There are lots of mentions about sourcing new tips online - not least via EPay, if you know what tip you are looking for. I have barely skim read these links, but take a look and seee if they lead anywhere -

soldering - Old Weller replacement tips source? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

Weller / ungar 921ZX soldering iron - Page 1 (eevblog.com)

I have had an Antex for 20++ years and although obsolete, new tips are freely available - best to go direct to Antex (a new element has sat un-used since I bought it when I bought the iron).
The last time that I bought a tip, I could not find one that was 101% obviously a fit, so I dropped them a query late one evening, and an incredibly knowledge lady answered within a few minutes. She asked a couple of questions, said that I needed this and this, job done.

Yes thanks I've taken seen the two links you mentioned before, and while there seem to be a few on ebay US, the shipping is £20 for a £5 tip which I just can't bring myself to eat. The Canadian company is a little better in that I could get a selection of 3 original tips for around £30, but given the relative obscurity of the soldering station it feels like maybe it's worth changing? It's a shame as other than the above problem I quite like the unit - it's nimble and works well enough.

I did wonder if anyone has tried one of the new USB C stick type irons? I read some interesting things about the TS 80P or the Pinecil, the latter of which isn't exactly megabucks on Amazon

I did wonder if anyone has tried one of the new USB C stick type irons? I read some interesting things about the TS 80P or the Pinecil, the latter of which isn't exactly megabucks on Amazon

The Pinecil seems to be appearing on several of the YouTube retro computer restoration channels I follow, though I suspect a lot get given freebies for product placement. I personally don’t see the need for a USB iron and if I ever wanted anything more controllable than my Antex I think I’d go straight to a Hakko soldering station such as this. At present I just can’t see the need for my usage. The Antex is great for leads and PCB work, and that’s all I do.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is it worthwhile splurging on a temperature controlled iron?

No.

I have one that I seldom use as it gets hotter (higher power) than my Antex, but I have a need to use HMP solder on occasion - the only reason that I bought it.

advertisement

Back