advertisement

soldering iron-choosing

midband

pfm Member
embarking on 300B build. Advice on soldering irons would be much appreciated. I hear that silver content solder requires higher temp than the old lead type.

I've always been happy with my Weller TCP 24 volt, 50 Watt. Brilliant design that has stood the test of time (mine is more than 40 years old), with spares that are easy to come by. The tips are temperature rated and easily interchangeable.

John

I have an Antex 24 volt iron, that is great...however, don't break it through stupidity. (Guess who?) £48.00 for a replacement.

Weller. If it's good enough for this guy...

JV80ssharp_zps7e6eceba.jpg

Well, if you're into sailing boats, folding bikes, racing minis, or things Hifi then I guess so, yes. It's an old picture from around '89. Tragically, cancer would eventually take his life a decade later. Julian Vereker, RIP.

I can't argue with JV's iron of choice, we used them everywhere. Until the metcal sales rep came round..

Sorry Mignum I was being "amusing", commenting as I was about JV when rational people who don't buy Naim stuff wouldn't have a clue who he was. My little kick against the Naimites. I will now refrain from any following comments.

Metcal stations are clearly superior, for a price.

Hakko stations are decent if you can't afford Metcal.

I was looking at the ps-900 for lead-free duties before I changed my solder. I'm getting excellent results with 95% tin, 4% silver, 1% copper (IIRC) alloy solder that melts 10 degrees C lower than the usual lead free alloys on a 700F bit temp on my Weller.

Yes a range of tips in packs of three and spare irons are £10. The iron is slimmer and lighter than many with a nice silicone rubber lead.

advertisement

Back