advertisement

Soldering bananas onto solid core speaker cable...

JTC

PFM Villager...
Can anyone advise on the technique? I am a soldering novice, but have broken a banana plug (it was a cheap one) and would like to solder a new set on.

Cable is DNM reson and I will have to solder it myself on account of it being embedded into the kitchen wall...

Drill a hole in a piece of wood to hold the banana. First heat up the wire and cover it with lead. Then heat up the banana sticking in that piece of wood, and add a little lead to it as well. Then whilst still heating up the banana, stick in the wire and wait a second till it all connects. Voila.

Doesn't sound too bad, thanks. What bananas do people recommend (for sound quality, ruggedness and also ease of soldering)?

Probably the easiest ones to solder are the milty big bucket screw/solder plugs.

Trim the lead to suit,screw into plug which holds the cable for ease of use and fill with solder.

Try to use an iron large/hot enough for the job it makes a lot of difference and makes the job easier.

RS 444-179 good basic connectors.

Depends a bit on what your speakers or amp are fitted with.

Paul

Speakers are AVI Pro Nine+. Amp end is fine (Linn Classik, with its funny connectors). If I'm successful with this I may have a go at reterminating from spades to bananas in my main system (I HATE spade connectors!)

A big tip on the end of your iron also helps. Oh, and a damp sponge too.

Drill a hole in a piece of wood to hold the banana. First heat up the wire and cover it with lead. Then heat up the banana sticking in that piece of wood, and add a little lead to it as well. Then whilst still heating up the banana, stick in the wire and wait a second till it all connects. Voila.

Hi,
Is this a recipe for fritters :)
dogrun.gif

With DNM cables I always used the Reson plugs; I don't believe they sound any better than other decent plugs, but they reasonably priced IMHO and you just cannot go wrong.

ATM I use these, which seem to work very well, too.

Best,
Oliver

advertisement

Back