advertisement

Solder station bargain?

I'm not getting a Maplin one. I've bought enough things in Maplin to have little confidence in the quality of their stuff.

The Weller TCP irons look good. Very widespread and you can still buy all the bits etc for them.

I'm not getting a Maplin one. I've bought enough things in Maplin to have little confidence in the quality of their stuff.

The Weller TCP irons look good. Very widespread and you can still buy all the bits etc for them.

I would say that is the best approach, even though I have just bought a Maplin one myself, I suppose the 'Gold' range is just a Maplin brand ? Anyway it will do until I get my geriatric RS station back in service.

Not all Maplin is crappy surly,
I know my irons were but I made the mistake of buying the cheapest, I know Maplin knew one iron was pretty crappy as they soon withdrew it from sale. My iron mistake was in thinking an adjustable temperature was what I needed and buying the cheapest. My Metcal iron has a fixed temperature, yes I can change the tip for differing temperatures and I did buy a few different Metcal tips but in reality one tip has been in the iron for some considerable time, it can flow solder around the biggest ground plane or heat sink tab or a SMT 0805 device that's just 2.0 × 1.25 mm. All one tip.
I also have a Maplin multimeter from about 1988 and its still going strong, no Ultra fast HRC fusing but not a lot did back then and I always use GS38 leads these days anyway.

Just buy a couple of Antex irons - low and medium powers cover most audio related uses.
I've used them pretty exclusively for 25 years. Reliable and long lasting.

Avoid cheap Maplin stations. The ones I've tried previously have ended up in the bin pretty sharpish.

Spend the extra fiver for the silicone jacketed mains lead versions. Nicer to use.

My 25W iron has done everything I needed it to as well. The tip is held on my a little grub screw and from experience it's not a good idea. I had another iron like that and the heat knacked the grub screw and there was no way it was coming out so the Draper one has been left alone, I just file or sand the tip clean. It's getting rather short now though ;0)

Not everything Maplin sells is rubbish obviously but a lot of it is. What I've found is that they sell poor quality stuff for the same price as decent quality stuff that you can buy in RS etc.

I have a digital multi-meter from Aldi that cost about a tenner. Had it for years and it works fine. I've had to buy new leads for it and it's a bit slow but it does the job, ish

Just buy a couple of Antex irons - low and medium powers cover most audio related uses.
I've used them pretty exclusively for 25 years. Reliable and long lasting.

Spend the extra fiver for the silicone jacketed mains lead versions. Nicer to use.

Yes for sure, mate has an Antex with the standard
never flex
cable :D

How did they get such a rigid cable?

Well, my new soldering station arrived today.

I bought an Atten 963b which is a clone of the Hakko 963. I'll report on how it works out later, first impressions are ok. It's clearly a budget product but it does work. Parts are readily available and cheap, whole thing cost around £40 delivered.

Has anyone got an Oki PS-900 station? They're the small brother of the bigger Metcal irons and look good value at £135 ex VAT from CPC. I really need to upgrade to a second iron for lead-free duties as swapping Weller TCP bits is a pain and they're dissolving pretty fast.

Still going strong. :eek:

I used a similar one from Maplins for 2 years before it eventually packed in after I guess 500 hours service (professional use). Bought as a stop-gap and worked pretty well but not great value. Others have had the same model and it's packed up after 100 hours. Now replaced with a used (but mint) Weller WTCP51 which will probably out last me. It uses the Magnastat tips, so far less to go wrong than with the PCB components of the Maplin variable temperature controlled iron.

I think it will last for a few years of amateur use, then when it goes bang with designed in obsolesence I will replace it with a professional station that will see me out.

I have just found this whilst looking through for something else - the same old Maplin solder station - is still working !

Is this a record (probably not) ?

Weller WE1010 vs Hakko FX888D on YouTube, glad I went with Hakko, which was a revelation after using a Nickolson (Australian) station.

Has anyone got an Oki PS-900 station? They're the small brother of the bigger Metcal irons and look good value at £135 ex VAT from CPC. I really need to upgrade to a second iron for lead-free duties as swapping Weller TCP bits is a pain and they're dissolving pretty fast.

I'm a very happy user of Metcal. I bought into the SP200 system 10 years ago and it's been faultless and so easy to use. Power stations are around £35 used, then you need the handset. The Oki SP-HC1 handset fits it, available from Farnell for £70. Put them together and that's a good price for Metcal. Even cheaper if you use the Thermaltronics version for £46. That's a real bargain. The SP200 is an older model - there are plenty of others, but you'd pay a lot more.

https://www.ams-electronics.co.uk/s...rmaltronics/thermaltronics-shp-s-handpiece-2/

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back