advertisement

Solder fume extraction?

linnfomaniac83

I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!
Hi guys, it’s been a while since I’ve done large volumes of soldering and fall a long time I’ve used a desk fan to pull fumes away from me. However, I’m involved in a new venture and will be manufacturing the (non HIFI related) product myself, I will need something better.

I have used OKI/Metcal units in the past and ideally, that’s what I will use as production (hopefully) ramps up, they’re expensive though and I need to be careful of costs. What do people use here? Are the small desktop units effective? Would I be better off with an inline extractor venting to outside? I’m definitely leaning towards the inline extraction route but I need to make sure that whatever I use can pull enough air, would the 25 watt bathroom type units be sufficient or would I need something bigger? I would get a proper extraction cowl fabricated (I have a fabricator in the family).

Thanks in advance.:)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg248.pdf

If you are doing lots of soldering don't do extraction cheaply, do it right!

The tubes attached to the iron handle for tip extraction are the most effective but need regular maintenance or they clog up and don't do their job. Posable arm volume extraction is more flexible (if you'll pardon the pun) but you need more flow rate to be effective

It will be done right as production volume ramps up. I will probably end up with a Pace or a Metcal dual arm extractor allowing for a second workstation. I was just thinking of making an outside vented solution to get me by for a few weeks. I do need an effective extraction solution though, that’s for sure. Before I even think of employing anyone to help with production, I will have all proper safety measures in place. We’re not there yet though.

If this product really takes off, we will probably end up having to outsource production anyway but for now, we wish to keep production in the U.K.

Have played around trying to DIY sometime in the past. 120mm computer fan blowing on work area works, but cools things too quickly.. Dont do that.
DIY/hacky thoughts
Inline bathroom fan wall mounted, extracted to outside using rigid plastic pipes, on the inside bring it down to work area using rigid then last bit in flexi (to allow optimal location?)
Cooker hood?

Have played around trying to DIY sometime in the past. 120mm computer fan blowing on work area works, but cools things too quickly.. Dont do that.
DIY/hacky thoughts
Inline bathroom fan wall mounted, extracted to outside using rigid plastic pipes, on the inside bring it down to work area using rigid then last bit in flexi (to allow optimal location?)
Cooker hood?

I actually have a cooker hood that I was going to install in my old house, I moved before I got round to it! I will need something more close up than that but I may mount it above the workstation anyway to catch any stray fumes.

I was thinking of an inline bathroom extractor venting to outside, I’d fabricate a proper hood for it of course, I just want to make sure it’s got enough power to do the job properly. The motors in proper solder fume extractors are about three to five times more powerful but they do have to pull the contaminated air through some heavy filtration before dumping the filtered air back into the room. An outside vented solution wouldn’t have to do that so a less powerful motor my be sufficient. I definitely don’t want a fab blowing across anything and I don’t want the fumes staying in the room, they do need to be vented or filtered out.

Have a look at 'Ruck' inline fans, great quality (German I think) I use a 5" with a variac, I also use an intake filter, but only because I use nitric acid, and I don't want the fumes to damage the fan.

Have a look at 'Ruck' inline fans, great quality (German I think) I use a 5" with a variac, I also use an intake filter, but only because I use nitric acid, and I don't want the fumes to damage the fan.
Just the job, they actually make an inline filter housing. I’ve found a 195 watt fan for a very reasonable price. I could easily mount that in the roof space and have it split to two drops above work stations. I’d definitely fit an inline filter because solder fumes make a sticky mess and will clog up the impeller over time if you don’t filter them.

You wont regret it, mine has had 25+ hours a week for the last 9 years with no problems ;)
Superb, I need to get some power drops and lighting installed so this can be done at the same time (next week). I’ll be ready for action before the first batch of PCBs arrive!

Those desktop filter thingys are pretty useless in my (considerable) experience, they don't do a very good job at all (poor suction, thus not drawing all of the fumes through the thin single-layer filter). I did things properly and got a full-size Xytronic fan/filter unit, yeah it costs a few hundred buy hey it depends how much you value your health. Personally, I quite like using my lungs...

Those desktop filter thingys are pretty useless in my (considerable) experience, they don't do a very good job at all (poor suction, thus not drawing all of the fumes through the thin single-layer filter). I did things properly and got a full-size Xytronic fan/filter unit, yeah it costs a few hundred buy hey it depends how much you value your health. Personally, I quite like using my lungs...
Hi,
Yes - they are poor suction unless very close, so that is why i placed a fan on the other side to blow the fumes into the filter. I do not breathe in the fumes - it works.

Whether the filter is adequate compared to others - not sure.
Regards,
Shadders.

advertisement

Back