1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft Cell - The art of falling apart

Discussion in 'music' started by Frankiesays, May 17, 2019 at 8:25 PM.

1. Frankiesays

Frankiesays Rats is life.

Have loved this LP for a few years since hearing it on Spotify, but today recieved the original vinyl LP in superb condition. From 1982 it is a stunning relic of the era, the last bout of post punk inventiveness, well, mainstream wise anyway. It came with a freebie 12" of Martin - whose flipside is the awesome 'Hendrix melody', Soft Cell segue 3 classic Hendrix tracks, with a grunty synth firmly placing the music, offset by plinky plonky high notes, add in some psychedelic electronic splurts, and you have a match for the headiness of the originals. The LP is an incredibly good quality pressing, and wee wees all over the Streamed versions I've been hearing. The LP revels in seediness yet the music has real soul and depth. I can't think of another act from that era whose music I enjoy more. The packaging is also of the highest quality, the images I'd seen on Spotify and Youtube are realised in beautiful lucid glossy covers, both outer and 2 inner sleeves. Only wished I'd discovered this music earlier in life, its hedonism is irresistible.

stephen bennett likes this.
  2. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Saw them at Futurama in Leeds 1980. Great times.

Frankiesays likes this.
  3. Farthings cat

Farthings cat pfm Member

Soft cell were the first band I saw live, and this album is a classic.
    Enjoy!
    Ps Marc is paying in Norwich next weekend at an 80’s revival gig, looking forward to seeing him

Frankiesays likes this.
  4. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

Fantastic album, and at the time it felt a million miles from Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret.

You should try and see the film 'Martin' which I believe the 12" tune is about. It is not for the squeamish.

Last Night.. In Sodom is not as good in my opinion.

Frankiesays likes this.
  5. Big Tabs

I bet the glue on the seams of Art of Falling Apart is coming loose. Every copy I have seen has this issue.

6. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I looked up the value of my original pristine Soft Cell 12" singles and found... that they are worth a massive £1.50! Ah well....
    I love "Non stop Erotic Caberet". Will have to see if I have "The art of Falling Apart"

Edit: Googling brought up a pic of the sleeve and IIRC I have it on vinyl but recall not liking it.

Frankiesays likes this.
  7. Frankiesays

No its a superb copy, vinyl nr mint, a rarity on Ebay!

8. Frankiesays

That one is waiting in the post office for me. Its not as good, but still worth getting. I think what makes Soft Cell tracks so listenable is the obvious soul influence. Tainted Love for me is one of the most memorable song of the 80s along with Bowies Ashes to ashes.

9. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Soft Cell fan, too. Martin is excellent, especially played with a bit of volume.;)

10. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

"Bedsitter" too for me.

11. Big Tabs