advertisement

Soda Siphon or SodaStream

Hi,

I drink sparkling water along with a juice, orange or whatever flavour I fancy, and also I like a small amount of sparkling water often during the day.

I looked at SodaStream and Soda Siphons and as I have used soda siphons in the past I think that might be the best option for my needs, but am looking for thoughts and advice.

I like the idea of the soda siphon as I don't have to open the SodaStream water bottle which will in my view, like shop bottled sparkling water, will make the sparkling water deteriorate very quickly and lose it's bubbles.

The cost of a SodaStream plus the gas exchange also seems to be quite expensive and the replacement cartridges seem to vary on gas content.

The soda siphon on the other hand uses the small gas single use cartridge which can be bought in bulk and seems to be a reasonable product to fit the criteria I listed above.

The main issues I have read about with soda siphons is their durability, so the question is what experiences on soda siphons have people had, which are the best makes and best gas refill cartridges.

I am assuming the soda siphon is one litre capacity?

I checked Amazon and they seem to have some good deals.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

John

I have a soda stream and can't fault it. That said, if you put anything other than water in there (such a small bit of cordial) before fizzing then it gets unavoidably messy.
If the Drinkmate (as per cj66 above) can carbonate anything then that's a bonus. No idea how robust of durable they are though.

we have both and both lose their fizz throughout the day. Sodastream makes fizzier water, but you need the water to be ice cold.

I've been thinking about this too....again. I've had both in the distant past, been disappointed, and ended up going back to buying bottles. Have they improved? Are they more environmentally friendly than plastic bottles, is it that simple ?

When I grew up we used a soda siphon often, never had any issues and you could make a drink of any quantity, well up to the amount in the siphon.

I like the idea of the siphon as you don't need to open the bottle which does appear to deteriorate the soda, whereas the siphon seems to keep the soda sparkling longer.

That's my real question here, does the siphon make longer lasting soda water?

We have used Sodastream for probably 10 years.

We must be on at least our third unit and quality/durability always feels flakey to me.

We will buy one of the alternatives next time.

The glass bottles only hold about 0,5l, and what with working from home, and trying to drink 2l per day, the water never has enough time to lose the fizz.

The alternatives are also a bit sleeker, using PET bottles instead of glass, so don't need the burst containment metal enclosure of the Sodastream.

Verdict: The system is OK, but I would try a different brand instead of Sodastream.

We have used Sodastream for probably 10 years.

We must be on at least our third unit and quality/durability always feels flakey to me.

we've been using for about 20 years- I agree about the durability- I think we are on our 4th unit. Getting/exchanging the gas canisters is a pain

What make of siphon and gas bulbs are you using?

got no idea - does it matter? we actually have two, IME neither works well. One is Isi (I just checked) other is glass. The metal Isi was given to me by a bar I was consulting for some years ago, as part of the Juniper Society I ran. I have no idea where the glass one came from.

just checked the chargers are Isi as well

Aren’t sparkling water and soda water different things?
They taste completely different to me.

Aren’t sparkling water and soda water different things?
They taste completely different to me.
Your right of course, soda water in a syphon should have bicarbonate of soda, along with the co2 gas, where as sparkling water has just the co2 gas.

Most pubs draught 'soda' is actually just co2/tap water. And is variable in quality.

I've been thinking about this too....again. I've had both in the distant past, been disappointed, and ended up going back to buying bottles. Have they improved? Are they more environmentally friendly than plastic bottles, is it that simple ?

I got a Soda Stream because the number of plastic bottles I was getting through was ridiculous, a bit expensive and always a pain to haul home from the supermarket. I'd like to think the Soda Stream is more environmentally friendly but I haven't checked. I really like the taste of the Soda Stream; to me it was almost identical to Highland Spring, which was my preferred brand.

advertisement

Back