advertisement

So... You think your Tesla's fast off the line eh...?

That is even more bonkers today.
I watched the IDR going up the hill, but that thing is just crazy. The video doesn't look real.

Sadly, I think they'll have to stop the record breaking attempts...or there'll be a big accident.

I can't imagine seeing a car go from stopped to 322kph in 2.2 seconds being boring.

Boring... Straight line speed, that's all...

Being able to take corners at huge speed is hell of a lot more impressive

if I read right, it has 1500kg downforce from the fans sucking it to the ground from standstill - it won’t spin it’s wheels, and it will be quick around corners! Electric cars are coming of age - Porsche now working on an all electric series race car, and they’re addressing the issue with brake feel & recharge when slowing. Don’t think they’ll ever have the feel of a decent ice race car, but they’ll be quicker for sure :)

The fan car was extrordinary.

Yesterday, Merc ran a development electric car up the hill that had a range of 1200 km. Stuutgart to Silverstone and then on to Merc F1 engine facility without a recharge. That was unbelievable not that long ago.

It's difficult to convey the Festival of Speed on TV.
That was my 26th year of going. Not remotely bored.
Now, I go for just the saturday, used to do 3 or 4.
Spending 15 minutes talking to the engineers who maintain the Napier Railton, 5 mins with the Volvo guy explaing the level 4 autonomy already built into the new cars with LIDAR, the Merc engineers in their tent, there are siply millions of ways that time goes nowhere.
Then there is the startline stand, house grandstand, Paddock grandstand. Half an hour in each sees so may new or historic cars.
Maybe not for everyone, but certainly is for me.

The McMurty car and crew - amazing (and very nice to chat to)
Saw the VW set the unofficial record, missed todays obviously, but yesterday, having seen all the others, it is mind blowing.
Yes, it can go round corners very quickly indeed (see the flint wall, that is a horrendous chicane, and as for Molecomb, it literally takes it flat out) but as said, from the start line it has circa 2000kg of downforce before he hits the pedal via a fan.
Astonishing tech.

0-60 in 1.5 seconds.

Oof....I used to think my Scooby was fast enough...

#fancar is otherworldly ! It’s incredible that downforce is now the limiting factor for its competition... The other cars don’t stand a chance! It’s got so much downward force it literally can’t spin it’s wheels! Wow, the specs are

2000kg of downforce at 0mph, 2250kg of downforce at 150mph.

Don’t think that fans that loud will make it to road cars though! We need antigravity cars to beat that spaceship!

T.50 Went up the hill, they seemed quite happy with it, not sure of the time. Makes a good noise though.

I only went Friday this year and never even got up to the F1 pits etc. Lots and lots to see.

Thanks for posting. That’s such a game changer. Yer can’t write a good suck off yet.

That McMurtry Electric vehicle run at the 10 minute mark was absolute Bonkers, Thanks for sharing..

It's difficult to convey the Festival of Speed on TV.
That was my 26th year of going. Not remotely bored.
Now, I go for just the saturday, used to do 3 or 4.
Spending 15 minutes talking to the engineers who maintain the Napier Railton, 5 mins with the Volvo guy explaing the level 4 autonomy already built into the new cars with LIDAR, the Merc engineers in their tent, there are siply millions of ways that time goes nowhere.
Then there is the startline stand, house grandstand, Paddock grandstand. Half an hour in each sees so may new or historic cars.
Maybe not for everyone, but certainly is for me.

The McMurty car and crew - amazing (and very nice to chat to)
Saw the VW set the unofficial record, missed todays obviously, but yesterday, having seen all the others, it is mind blowing.
Yes, it can go round corners very quickly indeed (see the flint wall, that is a horrendous chicane, and as for Molecomb, it literally takes it flat out) but as said, from the start line it has circa 2000kg of downforce before he hits the pedal via a fan.
Astonishing tech.

The FOS is the best motorsport event in the world IMO. I am in awe of your 26 times, I have gone about 10 times since 2000 and last time in 2017. Will def go again enjoying the comments and youtube stuff.

The FOS is the best motorsport event in the world IMO. I am in awe of your 26 times, I have gone about 10 times since 2000 and last time in 2017. Will def go again enjoying the comments and youtube stuff.
I went once on a freebie and thoroughly enjoyed it. Amazing event. Getting out of the carpark though......

FOS is great, definitely worth going, but the Revival is better still IMO. Both one of a kind events in an absolutely stunning setting.

Sadly, I think they'll have to stop the record breaking attempts...or there'll be a big accident.

I'd hate to have to agree with you but you are entirely correct. It's heading the same way as the Group B rally cars after Toivonen's death......... except they need to act before something like that happens but boy is 39.08s impressive or what, I assume that is an average 150mph+??

Regards

Richard

FOS is great, definitely worth going, but the Revival is better still IMO. Both one of a kind events in an absolutely stunning setting.
The circuit is fun. Myself and a mate hired it for the day once in the 80's!
A very special driver and team came along (nothing to do with our group) and asked if they could have 30 mins or so to test. How could we say no to a future star? Also done another couple of manufacturer days there.

advertisement

Back