advertisement

So that's the climate f****d then

just to poke a couple of holes in the argument(s):

#1 present (or past) system of government:
a violent authoritarian superpower that carries out a mass continental/international genocide.
[not advocating this, but very easy to imagine]

#2 future governments:
failure to imagine a type of government or social movements/disruptions that could lead to them is not evidence that they can not emerge.

the problem with journalists (as the one who wrote the article you linked to) is that, for the mostpart (99.9%), they don't have the basic training in science or philosophy to make the sort claims that they do. everything for them is a story, constructed from anecdotal experiences and contorted by layers and layers of personal bias that they have no idea of. it can work fairly when analyzing a fairly simple topic like the prospects of the LA lakers next season, but usually fails when on larger scale.

it's OK to be pessimistic (i am), but you have to express it in terms of vague probabilities, not any sort of precise absolutes.

p.s. i would add that i see the big problem as one of culture (~75%) rather than politics.

• The author is citing people who do have expertise - not talking from his hat re climate
  • Philosophy is not required given the frame of time left to effect what amounts to sea change
  • There's nothing vague about the science outlined in the piece; it's very well supported
  • No argument from me concerning current culture, but I would point out that culture is looking to politicians for solutions they can't possibly provide, including the freshman congressperson who grew up a poor girl in the bronx while living wholly middle class in the burbs.

index.php

That 45 on the forecast was right over my daughter's house, tried to call this afternoon but all electricity appears to be saved for ac.

Last month they were thinking how nice and warm it was on their south facing terraced hill.

Just in case someone thinks that average global temp is rising (red) because the sun is pumping out more energy (yellow) ...

fGYz2hZ.jpg

Joe

advertisement

Back