advertisement

So that's the climate f****d then

Finding more of this sort of blog entry lately (Nick Humphrey, meteorologist):

"We are slowly "nuking" our world and we cannot even talk about it amongst ourselves in a realistic manner."
"What I know is that things have reached the point on this planet where denial by a rational mind is impossible."

Goes to my unpopular theory (at many online places) that for the most part, social media is not only unrealistic, it's not particularly rational either. I say that because I have little trouble talking about climate-food-economic disaster with nearly everyone I engage on it within the analog world. Digitally, it's massively compartmentalized. Which dovetails with another of my silly theories that the internet is basically one ginormous bolthole for a wired human race.

edit: Last one, Joe.

Last edited:

no humour. to be honest, the whole climate crisis has had me on the verge of depression for several years now. it was always a dream to settle down in some nice coastal place, awy from modern life , have a nice garden and make some sculptures. that's the selfish, personal perspective, but then there is a deeper, more catastrophic agony of knowing and witness the destruction of this magnificent habitat and it's inhabitants (i include the animals in there).

marky posted a coule of articles about denial -- i would actually pay to be in that state instead.

Then the odyssey starts at Phnom Penh on 15 November this year. I'll meet you at the railway station. I'll be the one with two orange folding bikes and a Brompton.

Also possibly an extremely sheepish expression as Cambodian railways run on the entirely random basis. The second orange bike? If we end up where I think true happiness lies, in a Wat I know not far from both the sea and a national park, I'll donate it to the abbot. The Brompton? if I donate that to the abbot, you'll know I've nearly shaken off the bonds of earthly possessions and am close to Nirvana. If a Thai Ridgeback and a ridgeback of mixed descent come running out wagging their tails furiously and heading towards me at a great rate of knots? Bliss, if not Nirvana has been achieved !

Last edited:
The CO2 data from ice cores are shown by the various coloured dots, direct measurement of CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is shown by the blue line.

D6li4RYW4AA5ig7.jpg:med

Joe

A nice balmy day in India...

https://weather.com/news/weather/ne...-degrees-second-driest-pre-monsoon-since-1954

A deadly heat wave has sent temperatures above 120 degrees in northern India, triggering heat stroke and warnings of water shortages, as the country experiences its second-driest pre-monsoon spell in 65 years.

The Rajasthan desert city of Churu recorded a high of 123.4 degrees Fahrenheit (50.8 degrees Celsius) Saturday, according to the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD), as reported by the Times of India. It was the highest temperature on record for Rajasthan state, where many locations topped 115 degrees over the weekend.​

Joe

And now permafrost in the North is melting 70 years earlier than predicted.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/18/arctic-permafrost-canada-science-climate-crisis

A team from the University of Alaska Fairbanks said they were astounded by how quickly a succession of unusually hot summers had destabilised the upper layers of giant subterranean ice blocks that had been frozen solid for millennia.

“What we saw was amazing,” Vladimir Romanovsky, a professor of geophysics at the university, told Reuters. “It’s an indication that the climate is now warmer than at any time in the last 5,000 or more years.”​

Joe

joe.

what i still don;t get is why this stuff isn't the ONLY thing on the news, every day. remember the iran hostage "crisis"?

Joe,

Bless you, but this is a fools errand. The OT section lives and breathes collapse Hopium brought to you by the good folks at Denial®

The prevailing wisdom here is that either there’s some utopian solution mere votes away —even with centuries of historical evidence to the contrary and no meaningful moves to confront this crisis yet underway — or they’re unable to understand the science. I know they claim they do, but obviously, and painfully, they might not. Maybe they think the scientists think they’re smarter than they are. Oh, dear. Roll out the rhetorical guillotine!

There is no present system of government, nor can there be one in anything approaching the time left, to meaningfully mitigate, much less ‘solve’ this crisis.

Increasingly, the relevant science predicts that there will be no permanent ice left in the arctic within 5 years. This single facet of our predicament will cause crop failure and weather calamity on a massive scale. And not in 50 years; it’s happening right now. This alone is grim enough, and there are other, equally dire variables playing out simultaneously. The hairdo ape is in for a really bitter taste of life beyond the pixels.

But at least I have some company while I swim in snark:

https://www.esquire.com/news-politi...-chennai-climate-change-five-years-transform/

Joe,
There is no present system of government, nor can there be one in anything approaching the time left, to meaningfully mitigate, much less ‘solve’ this crisis.

just to poke a couple of holes in the argument(s):

#1 present (or past) system of government:
a violent authoritarian superpower that carries out a mass continental/international genocide.
[not advocating this, but very easy to imagine]

#2 future governments:
failure to imagine a type of government or social movements/disruptions that could lead to them is not evidence that they can not emerge.

the problem with journalists (as the one who wrote the article you linked to) is that, for the mostpart (99.9%), they don't have the basic training in science or philosophy to make the sort claims that they do. everything for them is a story, constructed from anecdotal experiences and contorted by layers and layers of personal bias that they have no idea of. it can work fairly when analyzing a fairly simple topic like the prospects of the LA lakers next season, but usually fails when on larger scale.

it's OK to be pessimistic (i am), but you have to express it in terms of vague probabilities, not any sort of precise absolutes.

p.s. i would add that i see the big problem as one of culture (~75%) rather than politics.

advertisement

Back