advertisement

So that's the climate f****d then

What is it with you guys, the leader of ye merry olde England is a total irrelevance in the world.

No England itself is becoming the irrelevance it will not matter who is PM the Europeans are turning away from us and the U.S. doesn't give a shit what we think now we have no influence in the EU.

Merlin, what has changed.

bloss

DBFoJdQW0AAPZqw.jpg

woodstock-poster.jpg

And I can't get good weed either!

Frump frump. My meals on wheels is late too.......

Rock,

People need to educate themselves about CO2, starting with how little of it is is in the atmosphere (0.038% of it is CO2),
The concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is 0.0409% (or 409 ppm) and currently rising at ~3 ppm.
Source: https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/full.html

not enough to have any effect on the planet's temperature.
Without any CO2 in the atmosphere the planet would be frozen.
Source: https://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/ma_01/

Then move on to the fact that it doesn't actually trap heat.
That's utterly false. CO2 is indisputably a greenhouse gas.
Source: https://www.princeton.edu/geosciences/people/bender/CO2Sampling/climate.xml

Then perhaps go to the fact that the planet hasn't shown any warming in 20 years (according to satellite data),
This, too, is utterly false.
Source: https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

then go to indisputable facts that none of the predicted disasters that were supposed to have happened by now have actually taken place.
Here's but one of the predicted disasters unfolding: https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/land-ice/

Trouble with facts is, they are difficult to argue against.
We finally agree on something.

Joe

Referring to the sentiment raised in the thread title

"So that's the climate f****d then...."

Whether or not it is, I don't believe for one minute that Trump's gesture will make a blind bit of difference one way or the other.

From an Englishman's POV, what concerns me is that we appear to be nailing our colours to the mast/k of Trumpism and this can only lead to global isolationism and exclusion (I can put up with the ensuing ridicule.)

The UK needs Corbyn now more than at any point in its history IMHO. Never before has an environmentally astute, anti war left wing human rights activist been more needed at the helm of HMS Britannia.

I would agree with much of that. You need to keep in mind though that his brother, Piers Corbyn, is a major man-made climate change denier and highly regarded meteorologist. He would probably agree with Trump on this issue.

I'm not voting for his brother.

My Sister is a practicing Christian.

Sadly true. I do though.

My boycott of US brands and goods starts today.

That's good, since most US company products are manufactured in third world countries which have next to no environmental regulations.

I'm not voting for his brother.

My Sister is a practicing Christian.

Fair enough. Keep in mind the Corbyn brothers are close. Piers is a very highly regarded meterologist. Take a look at some of his presentations on this issue. Personally, I am not totally convinced of man-made climate change. No one can deny man made pollution. However, it is important we do not automatically conflate this with mam made climate change. Also, it is not a left-right debate. Not all man made climate change deniers are right wing populists.

Of course I will.

Where have you popped up from all of a sudden? 3 posts now. All trying to smear Corbyn? What brought you here ?

Of course I will.

Where have you popped up from all of a sudden? 3 posts now. All trying to smear Corbyn? What brought you here ?

Probably trying to enjoy some free speech before the great purge starts :D

i'm thankful that free speech allows me to question Internet personas popping up to further current Tory party electoral policy.

That's good, since most US company products are manufactured in third world countries which have next to no environmental regulations.

Indeed although all of them will be signed up to the Paris Agreement.

The only thing Trump and his army understand ( other than the wishes of God of course) is money so cut the cash flow. Simples. Hit them in the pocket.

Of course I will.

I am not trying to smear Corbyn - I want him to win. I am interested in the climate change issue.

You know exactly what the US pulling out of the Paris Accord means — it weakens the agreement and delays action to lower CO2 emissions.
You didn't read my post that you replied to.

Why don't you produce the peer-reviewed studies that show everything will be just fine.
Am I suggesting everything will be just fine? No. I'm just not hubristic enough to believe the conceit that it is under our control and understanding, because I have at least looked at the evidence and the argument.

You have never been able to explain why the earth is warming, why it is dangerous, and why you believe it is a consequence of carbon. In this you are completely normal for an environmental activist. It's received wisdom, very much a religious process. It's a bit of a shame though. It would be transformative if you (plural) started approaching the climate scientifically, defining your terms, putting bounds on your claims, supporting your arguments. Explaining and justifying the uncertainty. But we don't even know what 'climate change' is supposed to mean.

And not much to do with this thread, on which I am right, the OP is wrong and you are OT.

This is reality
Slam dunk. That graph has no relation to reality, by definition.

Paul

I would agree with much of that. You need to keep in mind though that his brother, Piers Corbyn, is a major man-made climate change denier and highly regarded meteorologist. He would probably agree with Trump on this issue.

He is not a highly regarded meteorologist and won't submit any of his methodology for peer review.

Paul,

You have never been able to explain why the earth is warming, why it is dangerous, and why you believe it is a consequence of carbon.
That's exactly what I've been doing for more than a decade. You're such a twisting bullshitter.

That graph has no relation to reality, by definition.
Yes, empirical data have no connection to the empirical world. How silly of me to assume that temperature measurements measure temperature.

It really would be transformative if you (plural) started the extrication process of your head from your anus.

Joe

Paul,

...It really would be transformative if you (plural) started the extrication process of your head from your anus.

Joe

Wow! Is there more than one Paul? Presumably they share more than one head and one anus too?

vuk,

Aye, it was a remarkably stupid decision. I'm surprised that business leaders in the US haven't staged a coup yet.

Joe

advertisement

Back