advertisement

So is Netanyahu going down or not?

Yank

Bulbous Also Tapered
Cliff hanger in Israel, I was hoping to wake up to something more definite. Think the old coot will hang on, or will we finally be rid of him?

going down or not?

Interesting turn of phrase - clearly has other meanings here. I didn't know he was due a spell in prison, and clearly you are never too old for oral sex!!!!!! :D

Last I heard the Blue & White party led by Benny Gantz got a sightly higher number of seats, but Netanyahu is still determined to stop him forming a government. I think it's wait and see time.

From what I understand Bibi and Gantz have the same number of seats, but neither a majority. So Lieberman can choose who to go to bed with and form a government. Which, I would imagine, allows him to demand some key ministries. This is what happens with proportional representation, which many on PFM desire for the UK. And I don't think it would be "different in the UK."

Phew, pleased to see this thread is back on the rails, as I was hoping to ask a couple of questions:

1. I read somewhere (probably the Guardian) that Gantz also promised to annex large parts of the West Bank. Is there any difference between Gantz and Netanyahu on this specific point?

2. Palestine aside, what are the main domestic and foreign policy differences between the two. For example, is it possible that Gantz will distance himself from Trump somewhat?

I guess my underlying question is, "how moderate is 'moderate'?" these days in Israels' politics.

Phew, pleased to see this thread is back on the rails, as I was hoping to ask a couple of questions:

1. I read somewhere (probably the Guardian) that Gantz also promised to annex large parts of the West Bank. Is there any difference between Gantz and Netanyahu on this specific point?

2. Palestine aside, what are the main domestic and foreign policy differences between the two. For example, is it possible that Gantz will distance himself from Trump somewhat?

I guess my underlying question is, "how moderate is 'moderate'?" these days in Israels' politics.

Why don't progressive Jews vote for Arab parties?

What planet are you on?

Progressive Jews is a nice idea and I am sure there are a few kicking about in Universities etc.

Progressive Arab parties could be even more difficult to find though given their avowed intention to destroy Israel.

It would like the white Zimbabwean farmers voting for Mugabe.

Ray

I think Gantz made the commitment first and Netanyoohoo followed suit to keep the right happy.

When it comes to Gantz vs Netanyoohoo it's more a case of same sh1t different smell.

I think Gantz made the commitment first and Netanyoohoo followed suit to keep the right happy.

When it comes to Gantz vs Netanyoohoo it's more a case of same sh1t different smell.

Charming.

I suppose it’s a reflection of the fact that most Israelis prize security over outright peace at the present time. That said, I did read elsewhere that the number of Arab votes was unusually high, which, if true, could at least partly explain Netanyahu’s poorer than expected showing this time around.

That said, I did read elsewhere that the number of Arab votes was unusually high, which, if true, could at least partly explain Netanyahu’s poorer than expected showing this time around.

You support stealing their land so why not just deny them the vote and your lovely netanyoohoo could walk it (and get immunity from those pesky corruption charges)

Security comes first, naturally. Also in the interests of peace. But I think today most Israelis have given up believing in the possibility of peace with the neighbouring Arab countries and Iran.

I think the main differences are:

Bibi: Clever and capable politician, but he's been in power for so long that he is seen as having established too much of a personal power network. Also, he is burdened by numerous investigations for corruptions large and small, and his wife, many Israelis know her as "Miss Piggy," is certainly not an asset.

Ganz: Some prestige as former Chief of Staff, extremely "clean" compared to Bibi, a new face and a new personality. But virtually no political experience.

I thought you were pro Netanyoohoo and the settlements, if not apologies, I must have mixed you up with someone else.

The screw-up of the Middle East is 200% down to the allies after WW2. Simple. They felt guilty, so they thought that they knew best...……

As for Arab Israelis - the comment at the moment is that for once they did not boycott the poll, but voted strongly against Netanyahu...…………….

I thought you were pro Netanyoohoo and the settlements, if not apologies, I must have mixed you up with someone else.

Apology accepted.

To be clear, I support Israel’s right to exist but despaired at the prospects of peace with the hawkish Netanyahu in power. I have also always felt that Israeli settlers are a huge obstacle to peace.

The screw-up of the Middle East is 200% down to the allies after WW2. Simple. They felt guilty, so they thought that they knew best...……

Actually WW1 and the divvying-up of former bits of the Ottoman Empire between Britain and France, both of whom made a howling mess of it. And then there was the Balfour Declaration's "A home for the Jewish people in Palestine" (note: not Jewish nation state). The bit about respecting "the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine" was, of course, ignored by the Zionists.

advertisement

Back