advertisement

So... erm... regarding those ATCs (SCM50 vs. SCM100)

For what it's worth I couldn't tell the difference between my DAC1 (not HDR) fed through my Audio Research LS 15 at fixed output , and directly from the DAC1 into my 100A's. So I sold the LS15 and got my 100's SL'd with the cash. Best bet is to arrange a home dem.

, and that the SCA2 is an unnecessary luxury!

Hi vln

In my experience i would say that the SCA2 is a necessity for ATC active monitors. I've heard numerous pre amplifiers over the years from £200 to £30k and none has managed to grip and drive ATC active monitors as well as the SCA2 has. With ATC active monitors i find other pre amps to sound somewhat flat and loose in comparision to the SCA2.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi vln

In my experience i would say that the SCA2 is a necessity for ATC active monitors.
Hi Rick, I respect that as your personal opinion. However, I believe you have over-stated. I am guessing many of those ATC studio users we're told about don't use an SCA2 so how can it be a "necessity"?

Logically, a preamp can be at best transparent, adding no coloration or distortion, or "straight wire with gain" as they say. In this respect I wouldn't be surprised if the SCA2 is top of the heap, and no-one has said a bad word about it to my knowledge. If I had multiple analogue sources it would be top of my list...and I would entertain the notion of it as a necessity.
Darren

IF you can live without analog Inputs, I highly recommend my current DAC/Pre; the Resonessence Labs INVICTA. It's a great synergy with my SCM25A pros.

Hi Rick, I respect that as your personal opinion. However, I believe you have over-stated. I am guessing many of those ATC studio users we're told about don't use an SCA2 so how can it be a "necessity"?

Logically, a preamp can be at best transparent, adding no coloration or distortion, or "straight wire with gain" as they say. In this respect I wouldn't be surprised if the SCA2 is top of the heap, and no-one has said a bad word about it to my knowledge. If I had multiple analogue sources it would be top of my list...and I would entertain the notion of it as a necessity.
Darren

Hi Darren

Fair enough :) I do get passionate about the SCA2 :D

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

IF you can live without analog Inputs, I highly recommend my current DAC/Pre; the Resonessence Labs INVICTA. It's a great synergy with my SCM25A pros.

Hi spacey

I look forward to hearing the Invicta :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I think what Rick said does have legs, ATC's respond better to active pre's than passives. Especially at lower (domestic) volume levels, which i suppose recording studios don't need to worry about.

Just shows how different everyone's perception is: My dealer, who normally is a dyed-in-the-wool ATC fan, thinks very little of the CDA2, both from a sound quality and a usability POV. On the other hand, he thinks the SCA2 is ace.

Hi vln,

I would go along with your dealer in that the CDA2 is a 'marmite' product, but when we say sound quality, that needs to be put into context. So yes, the SCA2 is the ideal preamp for Active ATC for heaps of reasons, but the CA2 is mighty close and better VFM. The CDA2 uses the CA2 circuitry, adding a CD transport and DAC. Sadly lacking USB input, it is easily fixed by using the Stello U3 (XMOS) interface converter. Here's a good CDA2 review.

Therefore, it is really a question of VFM, while providing a very high quality sound that we felt was better (for the most part) compared to a DAC direct. That said, it's all reasonably insignificant against the backdrop of room and speaker setup, so you have to listen in your system and then decide.

Peter

Contrary to my previous posts, at the moment I'm overall preferring the sound with the covers off my 50s. I imagine preference is dependent on room acoustics etc.
Darren

Hi vin
I have a room of very similar size 4.8 x 4m. Had Anniversary 50s for about 6 years, here and in another much larger room previously.
Decided to try 100s (towers) with anniversary amp packs last year - they sound great in this room. I thought they would overwhelm the room - no boom or other nasties. As you noticed they sound more "complete and effortless". The bass seems to enhance the mid range and sounds more natural with greater weight than the 50s. As others have observed they also operate more successfully at lower levels.
I have them toed-in and about 70cms from wall. I realise now I should have got the 100s instead of the 50s originally.
The only downside is that they do tend to physically dominate a room of this size, but hey the sound is the important thing.

advertisement

Back