advertisement

So... erm... regarding those ATCs (SCM50 vs. SCM100)

I prefer them with the grills on, they seem to take over the room otherwise, I also worry about the kids interfering with the drivers,

Samuel

Are you driving the ATC's with the TDAI or are they active and the amp being used as a pre? i am currently using WB Discovery's with my TDAI but if I ever moved to somewhere with more room I would be very interested in the ATC's

Many thanks

Leigh

ATC provide all sorts of whacky stuff, lookit these tower 50s.

s3h5ao.jpg

(spotted on ATCforums)

Is this to keep the rain off?!

Oh, and please don't tell me they have a curved cabinet.

Samuel

Are you driving the ATC's with the TDAI or are they active and the amp being used as a pre? i am currently using WB Discovery's with my TDAI but if I ever moved to somewhere with more room I would be very interested in the ATC's

Many thanks

Leigh

Leigh,

Yes the ATCs are active, and I am driving them from the unbalanced pre outs of my TDAI.

Samuel.

Interesting comments re the pro baffle surround - I always thought it was non-removable.

I might ask my dealer (who demos them without the grilles BTW) about it after I have finished fiddling around with position.

The diffraction effects are so small as to be pointless except in a really heavily treated room. And even then most studios play them with grilles off. Its really a non issue for home users and for studios as well.

Fox, are you essentially saying that the drawbacks of an average untreated living room is so big that the benefits the grilles bring WRT diffraction goes by unnoticed?

I'm saying curved and non curved baffles are a non issue for home users and for studios as well.

I've seen plenty of pro installs with/without grilles, upside down, tweeters inwards/outwards and so on.

People are in danger of getting worked up over something that has no audio effect except in very specific circumstances.

The grilles have always made a very subtle difference IMO. Not sure if its the cloth or the edge detail but its been there on both pair of 20's and 50's I've owned.

It takes one minute to take the grilles off and see whether you can hear enough difference to care about leaving them off, or getting the pro-surrounds, Getting your ears in line with the midrange unit is most worthwhile ime.

May I be so bold as to ask you guys what pre-amps you use with active ATCs??
I've just got some active tower 20s and I would be keen to hear your views on pre-amps.

Thanks,

Simon

Oooh. Lessee...

I've used NAC42, worked well
I've used NAC102, worked well
Used a CA2 Worked Well
SCA2 Worked well, sounded like the CA2 with a bit more at each end of the audio spectrum... same fronty back lefty righty timey wimey stuff
No Pre but a DAC via AppleTV and a volume port worked well
No Pre but a DAC and using the digital volume in the DAC via AppleTV worked well

Audio Note M2 Pre -- not so well

How's the cable? Ok? Not having a NAC to hand I was biting my toenails with anxiety I got it right... They needed trimming anyway...

May I be so bold as to ask you guys what pre-amps you use with active ATCs??
I've just got some active tower 20s and I would be keen to hear your views on pre-amps.

Ah yes, I'd be interested in that too.

On my list are:

- ATC's SCA-2 (quite pricey though)
- Benchmark DAC1 HDR (small, relatively inexpensive and has everything I need)
- Accuphase C-2110 (should I feel flamboyant)

Please see also my new thread on pre amp output impedance and power amp input impedance:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=124187

How's the cable? Ok? Not having a NAC to hand I was biting my toenails with anxiety I got it right... They needed trimming anyway...

hi fox,
The cable is great, thank you. Btw, I've not forgotten the charity donation!

I'm using my 82/APX4 ATM but I've got a CA2 coming on Monday.
If the CA2 cuts it I will be able to get rid of a lot of boxes ie 82, APX4, Headline and possibly my Astin Trew Phono stage.
I cannot believe I've got rid of 30 years of Linn and Naim in the space of 2 weeks and certainly no regrets as yet.
Only problem is hearing you guys talking about the bigger ATCs.

Simon

Phew. Good. If you are at a loose end then I recommend these folk. Whatever you think the cable is worth.

EDIT: And if you plump for a CA2/Balanced Pre I'll rewire it for you as well as I have some spare XLRs and *can* test it. FOC also.

Reevaluation happened to me as well with my ATCs in 2006. Its a big change. A lot to unlearn.

The CA2 is a cracker. The older ones are no longer hip and happening but I think the older ones have a better user interface.

The Mk2 is Fugly (IMO), the Mk1 looks like a smaller SCA2

Both Mk1 and 2 have Phono capability and both have a headphone socket

advertisement

Back