advertisement

So... erm... regarding those ATCs (SCM50 vs. SCM100)

vln

Shuns mooks. And MQA.
A couple of weeks ago I spent an enjoyable day at the Swiss ATC importer, listening to an SCM100SL AT and an SCM50SL AT with the discrete amp packs (just like the anniversary edition has).

In short, I liked what I heard - I preferred the 100s to the 50s, even though the 50s had the better amp packs. The 100s sounded more complete and effortless than the 50s, and, hardly surprising, had more bass. There just is a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about big speakers.

However comparison was a bit difficult as the 100s were also louder, so I also had to adjust the volume as best as I could when switching and it is well known how small volume differences can make the slightly (or not so slightly) louder component appear "better".

So, currently I am gravitating towards the 100s, and I am in the process of arranging a home demo, to have a direct comparison to the Dynaudios. I can use the pre outs of my Lyngdorf integrated to drive the ATCs.

However, several things keep me wondering:

1.) My room is 4.9m x 4.6m (22.5 m2), so not huge; the dealer's/importer's room was longer and narrower than mine, and overall maybe *a bit* bigger, the speakers were set up with a 50cm - 100cm distance to the rear (narrow) wall, firing down the long wall

2.) I am forced to place them very close to the rear wall (around 10 - 15cm)

3.) I won't be living in my current (rented) apartment for the rest of my life, the next room where the speakers will end up may be bigger, or may be smaller (however I don't expect it to be massively smaller than 20m2)

4.) I can compensate for some (most?) of the problems coming from less-than-perfect positioning with Lyngdorf's RoomPerfect system (already works a treat for the Dyns, which are in the same position)

5.) The 100s go louder, but that's not a priority for me, as an apartment dweller - but I got the impression that at lower volumes the 100s also sounded more complete than the 50s, due to them having more bass (?)

6.) The 100s are big f*****s, but at least in my current room, I can accommodate them OK-ish, given the way it is currently furnished - in my next room this may or may not be the case; the 50s would give me a bit more flexibility as they are not quite as imposing

7.) I want my next speakers to have as much or more bass than my Dyns - not sure if the 50s can deliver that? (the Dyns are +-3dB at 35Hz anechoic)

In either case (50s or 100s), I will go for the stand-mounted versions, thus without the (rather expensive) discrete amp packs, as these can only be fitted to the tower versions due to space requirements. The stand-mounted versions also look way cooler IMO.

So, comments?

Cheers,
Samuel.

Just a note, I'd look for the smallest 3-way for such a room size and close wall placement, they are ported, no real experience myself unfortunately, would love a pair though

There seem to be a K&H 300 eqvivalent (well not exactly) priced less silly but still a lot of money

100's, Sam. Or 25A Pros :). 50's are really good but they need to be listened to loudly to hear what they can do best, they're amazing tracking tools so much info and as sharp as anything out there; also bomb proof.... I'd recommend changing the Lyngdorf when funds allow too. ATC SCA2 is supposed to be best used to get the 50's to sound right at lower volumes. 100's not so much.

There seem to be a K&H 300 eqvivalent (well not exactly) priced less silly but still a lot of money

I owned ATC SCM100 ASLs for many years. When I recently downsized my life I briefly tried some K&H O300s - imo they aren't remotely equivalent to the ATCs. I ended up with some ATC SCM25A PROs which are superb, and share many of the virtues of the 100s, but are less demanding in terms of placement and room size. Try them all before you buy - a decent pro dealer will have demo pairs. There's a pair of second hand 100s going on the trade section here for £3.5k - not at all a silly price.

:) Arthur, ADM40's are not avaliable for dems, and distance selling regs don't apply 'apparently' as they're built to order.
You'd have to be totally stupid to drop £3 or 4K on some speakers without seeing if you liked the sound first.

And what about at home? Have you tried anything else in the £4K bracket new or S/H?
There was a used pair of 25A's on eBay for £4K IIRC.

Make sure you take a cushion with you ;)

Your point 5 can be dealt with by consideration of point 4.

I have classic SCM50ASL, if I had a significantly bigger room I'd probably have had 100s, the cost difference being nominal. But we put the 50s in a huge room at the Scalford show back in March and they managed, bigger bass units would have seen only marginal gains. Which I was quite surprised about.

Paul

A couple of weeks ago I spent an enjoyable day at the Swiss ATC importer, listening to an SCM100SL AT and an SCM50SL AT with the discrete amp packs (just like the anniversary edition has).

In short, I liked what I heard - I preferred the 100s to the 50s, even though the 50s had the better amp packs. The 100s sounded more complete and effortless than the 50s, and, hardly surprising, had more bass. There just is a certain 'je ne sais quoi' about big speakers.

However comparison was a bit difficult as the 100s were also louder, so I also had to adjust the volume as best as I could when switching and it is well known how small volume differences can make the slightly (or not so slightly) louder component appear "better".

So, currently I am gravitating towards the 100s, and I am in the process of arranging a home demo, to have a direct comparison to the Dynaudios. I can use the pre outs of my Lyngdorf integrated to drive the ATCs.

However, several things keep me wondering:

1.) My room is 4.9m x 4.6m (22.5 m2), so not huge; the dealer's/importer's room was longer and narrower than mine, and overall maybe *a bit* bigger, the speakers were set up with a 50cm - 100cm distance to the rear (narrow) wall, firing down the long wall

2.) I am forced to place them very close to the rear wall (around 10 - 15cm)

3.) I won't be living in my current (rented) apartment for the rest of my life, the next room where the speakers will end up may be bigger, or may be smaller (however I don't expect it to be massively smaller than 20m2)

4.) I can compensate for some (most?) of the problems coming from less-than-perfect positioning with Lyngdorf's RoomPerfect system (already works a treat for the Dyns, which are in the same position)

5.) The 100s go louder, but that's not a priority for me, as an apartment dweller - but I got the impression that at lower volumes the 100s also sounded more complete than the 50s, due to them having more bass (?)

6.) The 100s are big f*****s, but at least in my current room, I can accommodate them OK-ish, given the way it is currently furnished - in my next room this may or may not be the case; the 50s would give me a bit more flexibility as they are not quite as imposing

7.) I want my next speakers to have as much or more bass than my Dyns - not sure if the 50s can deliver that? (the Dyns are +-3dB at 35Hz anechoic)

In either case (50s or 100s), I will go for the stand-mounted versions, thus without the (rather expensive) discrete amp packs, as these can only be fitted to the tower versions due to space requirements. The stand-mounted versions also look way cooler IMO.

So, comments?

Cheers,
Samuel.

Samuel

I am using Active 50s (towers) in a room which is similar in size to yours, a little longer and slightly narrower but not much. I use them in a 5.1 setup so actually have three across the front and use active 20s at the back with a C4 sub. I think if I had been going purely for a stereo setup I would have thought more seriously about getting 100s instead but probably would have concluded that they are physically too big - they are about 50% wider than the 50s. As others have commented the 50s do need to be played at a reasonable level to sound their best. In terms of placement I have mine about 50cm from the back wall, slightly toed in. I certainly do not have any issues about the quantity of bass from them. Unless I move to a house where I have a significantly bigger room then I can not see any reason for changing the speakers at all.

Paul

PS: Also worth checking out the ATC forums - WWW.ATCFORUMS.CO.UK

harsh statement time :p (take pinch of salt)

If you're going to be worried about living decor in future accomodation, get some lifestyle speakerettes, and forget about the best possible sound.

If you want to go for an audio-dream, buy the speakers that you fall in love with, and choose accomodation that you feel will suit them as much as possible.

If you want something that works everywhere, get some headphones :p

I have SCM50 Anniversary towers and my only regret is not going for the 100's. My room is slightly longer than yours, but you needn't worry about the size of the speakers.
Mine are about 20cm from the back wall and slightly toed in - fiddling around does help before settling on the right position.
One of the strengths of ATCs is their linearity - to me, they sound just as good at low levels as when they are entertaining the neighbourhood. I didn't find a difference between the 50's and 100's in this respect
If I ever upgrade, it will be for 100's or even 150's although they are ugly büggærs
Cheers
John

Paul,

What has been your pre-amp. experience with the 50's ?

Thanks.

Initially I used a Krell 280p and later changed to a Mark Levinson 380s which I bought second hand. One of the main reasons for changing the from the Krell was that I needed two sets of balanced inputs. I also use an Anthem D2v as a surround processor and run the main channels through the pre-amp in bypass mode. The Krell was very good not quite as clean as the ML though.

Hope this helps.

Paul

advertisement

Back