advertisement

So Class A - do it if you haven’t!

Rug Doc

pfm Member
I’ve always had class A/B amps, and then moved onto a Yamaha B-2 which runs V-fets… don’t think these are class A, but again class A/B, so a weird one, those with better electronics knowledge can explain more if they wish, but I have never had a Class A amp, and when the Musical Fidelity A1000 popped up on the forums with one owner and in mint condition re one small fault on one channel I thought I must give it a go…

The A1000 was an amp I lusted after years ago, thought it was fabulous looking in gloss black, but had never heard one. This one is now 26 years old and really does look like it rolled off the production line last week - I’m chuffed.

And the sound?! Amazing….

I’m using Impulse horns (Taus, not quite H2’s but their successors, very similar) and these speakers are now singing and sound so fabulous I’m revisiting everything in my collection and hearing stuff I hadn’t heard before.. well, not hearing new sounds, but realising that bass notes are in fact three, rather than one, picking up on stuff I hadn’t noticed before..

The power of this thing, (and I’m guessing other Class A amps,) is really impressive… absolutely no worries about it not going to the volume I like to listen at, and when it gets there it’s completely effortless.. like a V8 on the motorway cruising at 70. in fact it loves to play loud, it has such awesome control, I can just visualise the mosfets laughing at the signal they’re being asked to amplify and just throw it back out, the speakers are doing exactly what they’re told.

A couple of other insights… The detail retrieval is incredible, guitar strings are plucked, piano keys are pressed with different pressures- all very easy to hear, detail in electronica is amazing, the placement of sounds on the soundstage is pin point and rock solid. The detail and resolution is outstanding.

The depth of soundstage has improved massively too.. you can easily hear where the engineer wanted instruments to locate, and with a vocal it’s hanging 4ft in front of the speakers, I had the XX playing in my lounge earlier, I had goosebumps.

I could go on.. The highs, cymbals and even more so in electronic music are soooo clear, I have never heard a tweeter move so fast… I must try this A1000 on the Ns1000x I have, I bet they’ll love it.

Oh and yes it does get very hot.. slightly concerning at first, but it’s designed to do what it does, and heat is all part of it - the harder you drive it, the cooler it gets, so it’s better to have it playing rather than sitting idle..

Sorry to rant, I’m so delighted and just wanted to say to those that haven’t tried Class A, please do, it’s a little bit of magic.

... to those that haven’t tried Class A, please do, it’s a little bit of magic.
And a lot of heat and power consumption. Something to consider if you live somewhere that's hot or don't want to consume a lot of energy. I built some in Spain and sold them because they really warmed up the place. It wasn't a worthwhile tradeoff for me!

And a lot of heat and power consumption. Something to consider if you live somewhere that's hot or don't want to consume a lot of energy. I built some in Spain and sold them because they really warmed up the place. It wasn't a worthwhile tradeoff for me!

yes I have an energy consumption meter somewhere, I’ll see what’s it’s costing me in a day or two..!

The manual says 280w whenever.

I’ve recently changed to a Krell KSA 50 after always having class AB amps and whilst I’ll never know that it’s the biasing used that gives it its sound, it’s wonderful and a keeper. Having worked for Linn/Naim dealers in the past I’d always swallowed the stuff about it being “un-musical”, slow and ponderous but I can happily report that’s absolute bollocks (IMHO, of course) and I’m glad I scratched the itch. I certainly don’t leave it switched on when I’m not using it but it doesn’t run as hot as I thought it might either. The way it handles the bass is uncanny. I can’t see myself ever replacing it. Famous last words.

A hot class A is the only way to fly according to many, I prefer it as well. Really happy that you're loving your amplifier so much.:D

yes I have an energy consumption meter somewhere, I’ll see what’s it’s costing me in a day or two..!

The manual says 280w whenever.

Just remember to turn it off if it’s not being used. I wouldn’t use a class A amp for background music - but if you have just one system you need to find a way to switch amps.

Just remember to turn it off if it’s not being used. I wouldn’t use a class A amp for background listening.

Yes I can do this, I was contemplating running two amps with a speaker switch box to switch between the two.. BUT in the manual it says to not have the amp powered up without speakers connected, and if I did use a switch box that’s exactly the trap I’d fall into (?)

Interesting. I have an XTZ Class A100 D3 which can run in either Class A or Class AB mode (or auto-switch between the two). Maybe I'm cloth-eared but I honestly can't hear any difference between the two modes (so it's either shit Class A or brilliant Class AB... :D). Overall it sounds great in either mode though - and in the current warmer temps it gets left in AB mode..!

Yes I can do this, I was contemplating running two amps with a speaker switch box to switch between the two.. BUT in the manual it says to not have the amp powered up without speakers connected, and if I did use a switch box that’s exactly the trap I’d fall into (?)

This can all be dealt with I think. I think @Marchbanks has a solution. As far as turning it on and off, it’s worth looking at programmable wifi sockets, which you can control with your tablet. You can group several together to make a button on the app interface to turn on class A and then rest, and another button to turn on class B and the rest. It’s tricky, I’m not sure exactly how to do it, but I’d be surprised if it can’t be done.

I use these - they’re a pain to pair with the app, but they do it in the end - there may be better

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KXBQKXX/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This can all be dealt with I think. I think @Marchbanks has a solution. The switchbox can put dummy loads on As far as turning it on and off, it’s worth looking at programmable wifi sockets, which you can control with your tablet. You can group several together to make a button on the app interface to turn on class A and then rest, and another button to turn on class B and the rest. It’s tricky, I’m not sure exactly how to do it, but I’d be surprised if it can’t be done.

The second part I have in hand, I’m using WiFi sockets, so that’s easy to do, the first part (unloaded speaker inputs being detrimental to the amp if turned on) I need help with, so if this is something that could be overcome I’d love to know how..

The second part I have in hand, I’m using WiFi sockets, so that’s easy to do, the first part (unloaded speaker inputs being detrimental to the amp if turned on) I need help with, so if this is something that could be overcome I’d love to know how..

I know it can be done, you can buy switches with dummy loads so the amp thinks it’s connected to the speakers when it isn’t. Someone here will know the answer.

Another thought - you may not like it - is to buy yourself a portable Bluetooth active speaker for background listening. Does it really have to be hifi? I use one, it’s really pretty impressive

Another thought - you may not like it - is to buy yourself a portable Bluetooth active speaker for background listening. Does it really have to be hifi? I use one, it’s really pretty impressive

No, I have a full on AV system in the same room, which the wife & kids use throughout the day… no need for Class A for that.

It’s a lovely sounding amp Jez. I must get my phono stage done now. Pretty please.

Is your A1000 an A370 or an A1 then?

It will prob be many months before I do any more phono stages (beyond the one I'm on with and the two to be done in the next couple of weeks).

I know it can be done, you can buy switches with dummy loads so the amp thinks it’s connected to the speakers when it isn’t. Someone here will know the answer.

I switch between solid state and valve amps in my main system as and when. Preamp has two sets of outputs and both amps are permanently connected. Takes a minute to swap the speaker leads over.

I’ve always had class A/B amps, and then moved onto a Yamaha B-2 which runs V-fets… don’t think these are class A, but again class A/B, so a weird one, those with better electronics knowledge can explain more if they wish, but I have never had a Class A amp, and when the Musical Fidelity A1000 popped up on the forums with one owner and in mint condition re one small fault on one channel I thought I must give it a go…

The A1000 was an amp I lusted after years ago, thought it was fabulous looking in gloss black, but had never heard one. This one is now 26 years old and really does look like it rolled off the production line last week - I’m chuffed.

And the sound?! Amazing….

I’m using Impulse horns (Taus, not quite H2’s but their successors, very similar) and these speakers are now singing and sound so fabulous I’m revisiting everything in my collection and hearing stuff I hadn’t heard before.. well, not hearing new sounds, but realising that bass notes are in fact three, rather than one, picking up on stuff I hadn’t noticed before..

The power of this thing, (and I’m guessing other Class A amps,) is really impressive… absolutely no worries about it not going to the volume I like to listen at, and when it gets there it’s completely effortless.. like a V8 on the motorway cruising at 70. in fact it loves to play loud, it has such awesome control, I can just visualise the mosfets laughing at the signal they’re being asked to amplify and just throw it back out, the speakers are doing exactly what they’re told.

A couple of other insights… The detail retrieval is incredible, guitar strings are plucked, piano keys are pressed with different pressures- all very easy to hear, detail in electronica is amazing, the placement of sounds on the soundstage is pin point and rock solid. The detail and resolution is outstanding.

The depth of soundstage has improved massively too.. you can easily hear where the engineer wanted instruments to locate, and with a vocal it’s hanging 4ft in front of the speakers, I had the XX playing in my lounge earlier, I had goosebumps.

I could go on.. The highs, cymbals and even more so in electronic music are soooo clear, I have never heard a tweeter move so fast… I must try this A1000 on the Ns1000x I have, I bet they’ll love it.

I'm waiting since a few years if you'd ever try this.

Since you introduced your NS1000 run with Yamaha Pre and Pwr amplifier,
my first silent thought was:
He hasn't heard the NS at all, yet.

Imho among the worst things you can do with the NS1000, is listen to it via Yamaha pre/pwr combis.
(apart from Naim amps, that is...Klout works astonishingly well, instead though.)

Have you put the NS to your class A yet..?
If not the big surprise it yet to come.

And it's not true it doesn't make sense with AV use.

It pays out especially in the center...an excellent vocal expression makes a world of difference
in emotional effect when the cinema has an emphasis on films with great conversation.
(The restored 'To Catch A Thief' from Hitchcock on BR for example..)

Congrats to your breakthrough !

I bet you had help from a well known class A aficionado..?

advertisement

Back