advertisement

Snell to Shahinian?

Afranta

pfm Member
I currently have Snell J/IIs, which are terrific. But I'm curious about Shahinian speakers. The descriptions I've read suggest that they might give me the organic, well-integrated sound I like, but also more precision. I occasionally feel that the Snells can be a bit soft and could be more incisive, if that makes sense.

I'm thinking about looking for a second-hand pair of Compasses; it sounds like they'd work best in my room and could be driven reasonably well by my Nait 5i (unlike Arcs or Obelisks). Has anyone moved from Snell (or Audio Note) to Shahinian? Are they comparable or is it an altogether different presentation? (I'll have my J/IIs forever, btw. For what they cost me, the only hardship in keeping them would be finding storage space.)

I've had both Audio Note (DIY 'E' and AZ-1) and also Shahinian (Arcs and Obelisks). Both are natural and expressive speakers with their finger firmly on the musical pulse.

The AN / Snell have wonderful speed and palpability in the mid, but don't have the deepest bass.

Shahinians (Arcs and upwards) fill the room effortlessly with music. They go much deeper in the bass than the AN / Snell whilst still being fleet of foot and natural / rich with it.

Arcs: You'd be surprised how little you need to get these working. I drove them using a Puresound A30 with spectacularly good results. Really, it sounded superb.

Obelisks: much harder to drive, although not as bad as people make out IMO. My Perreaux Audiant 80i is perfectly happy driving my Obelisks :)

Compasses: Heard these on many occasions but have never got on with them. They don't have the effortless quality of their bigger brothers to my ears. (although some may disagree with me)

Hope this helps and best of luck,

Lefty

Incredibly helpful. Thanks very much. Your room looks stunning, by the way. I think I remember it with AZ-1s? Must have (subliminally) prompted my post. Your experience has me thinking that it might be Arcs (or Obelisks) I'm after. (The room is large enough; speaker placement is the issue.) At the very least, it sounds like I should try to hear Compasses ...

All best,
Andy

Glad to be of help. Yes, I fondly remember my time with the AZ-1s. Probably the biggest bang-for-buck speakers I have ever owned. They sounded superb when driven by the babies below.

Definitely worth auditioning all the speakers in the Shahinian range (upto Obelisks) if you can accommodate them. IMO the sweet spot is the Arcs. The Obelisks can sound 'all bass and treble' immediately after Arcs, but drive them correctly, use good sources and you'll be rewarded.

Best of luck :)

Lefty

6290972389_ee0f17f8b3_b.jpg

advertisement

Back