advertisement

SMPS power amps

laverda

pfm Member
I've been thinking about this for some time and see little on the subject.

In short Switch Mode Power Supply's used for power amps, commercially this has/is the norm for many companies for many years.

48771184357_58d4851124_k_d.jpg

This cobbled together set up works a treat....two SMPS PS units set up for + - 55v feeding a NCC220 power amp. Each Meanwell LRS-200-48 SMPS is rated at 4.4amps at 48VDC, which is a regulated supply voltage. They cost less than £20 each, I think I got these for £15 each some time ago and forgot about this project but was a bit bored one evening this past week.

I was (to say the least) a little taken aback at just how good it is...(sounds) Early days and further measurements and listening tests to come but very good.

Anyone have any input?

Reactions: GWM
In pro audio weight and efficiency matters, so smps are popular.
HiFi reviewers like weight and traditional designers like to cast doubt on anything but a big transformer

Yes some people have even done that with 405 boards here in France, and seem happy. I believe the first company to do that was Sony in the early 80's.

In the early 80s smps ran at far too low switching frequency to be good for power amplifier use - output impedance and noise issues.
In the UK Linn were the first major user.

A class AB power amplifier is a challenging load for a smps.
Half wave current pulses at >10 kHz can find non-linearities in the power supply control loop.
The power supply rejection of most amplifiers falls badly at higher frequencies and the designer probably assumed that the power was coming from a bulk capacitor of low impedance

I did just this with this supply types while waiting for transformers to arrive in a nap160 build. It sounded great but I just used it for basic 'get it running' and when the transformers arrived I never did a comparison.
Interested in what you hear and whether it's worth using them in a permanent setup (not that I need another amp!)

A good smps can sound different as you have a rock solid regulated bass, where a conventional power supply is rippling at 100Hz, sometimes generating intermodulation. There is a reason distortion is always quoted at 1kHz.
One thing to watch is that some amplifiers depend on voltage sag when running hard for output SOA protection- The NAD "feature"

In pro audio weight and efficiency matters, so smps are popular. HiFi reviewers like weight and traditional designers like to cast doubt on anything but a big transformer
Ain't that the truth! Much Hifi equals big toys for big boys, look out the window and there's the BMW K1600GT and Cadillac Escalade in the driveway.

advertisement

Back