advertisement

SME V centering problem

Some good news. I tried with min and max anti skate...it made no diff. I reinstalled my DL103R. It sounded perfect. I came back to the ART9. Now that is sounding symmetrical also.

There must have been some installation problem despite all possible care I took in the process. What I can think of is that the tonearm cable (Furutech Solver Arrow), which is a very heavily sheolded cable, exerted some force on the tonearm. Perhaps this included some torsional component on the tonearm wire itself. That could possibly have got transmitted upwards and for part of each side, inhibited tonearm rotational movement and caused the asymmetry.

It is solved now, though I am not totally sure if what I have described was the reason. I hope it does not recur. Many thanks to everyone who made suggestions to remedy this - it helped me think this through.

Some good news. I tried with min and max anti skate...it made no diff. I reinstalled my DL103R. It sounded perfect. I came back to the ART9. Now that is sounding symmetrical also.

There must have been some installation problem despite all possible care I took in the process. What I can think of is that the tonearm cable (Furutech Solver Arrow), which is a very heavily sheolded cable, exerted some force on the tonearm. Perhaps this included some torsional component on the tonearm wire itself. That could possibly have got transmitted upwards and for part of each side, inhibited tonearm rotational movement and caused the asymmetry.

It is solved now, though I am not totally sure if what I have described was the reason. I hope it does not recur. Many thanks to everyone who made suggestions to remedy this - it helped me think this through.
What turntable SME sits on ?
I’m glad you have sorted it , enjoy some tunes now

I assume every time you installed cartridge you have unbolted tonearm , did you undo sled Allen key bolts as well ? Possibly when doing them back up heavy tonearm wire caused bit of tilt to the arm pillar and consequently changed azimuth . Next time you can use small spirit level across the headshell while cartridge is above the platter , obviously don’t drop stylus on the record with spirit level there .
If heavy tonearm cable causes any torsional force it means tonearm pilar has some free movement within the sled , which shouldn’t be the case if Allen key bolts are done up .

OK. I always tighten allen key bolts as per manual, and yes, the spirit level and test records are used to test Azimuth. I use the spirit level to check if top of fixed headshell is horizontal, but SME has sent me a message that that is just for "cosmetic effect" and it is the underside of the cartridge that should be horizontal. I am sure it is, in my case.

Spirit level on the top of the headshell is just to give a reference position from you adjust azimuth using test record/crosstalk , if cantilever/stylus don't need any adjustment then yes, most likely bottom of the cartridge would be parallel to the surface of the record .

advertisement

Back