advertisement

SME M2-9 or 9r

Robert J

Wondering if anyone might have some experience(s) or thoughts to share regarding the difference between the SME M2-9 tonearm and the new-ish M2-9R.

Apart from the fact the 9R is an updated version of the old 3009 series and is a j-shaped arm, I am trying to account for the significant price difference between the two (in Canada, at least, it's about $700). I appreciate that it has an aesthetic appeal (for some) over the straight M2-9.

The specs from SME look similar in terms of effective mass and such (both 9.5g), although the M2-9R appears to have an additional weight for the rear of the tonearm to accommodate a wider range of cartridges.

Anything else in terms of performance I should be aware of?

What cart are you planning to use?

PS If you end up deciding on an straight M2-9 consider also the M2-10 too as it is actually only half an inch longer but does have slightly better geometry as a result. IIRC it is no longer than say an RB300, so will fit most decks.

What cart are you planning to use?

PS If you end up deciding on an straight M2-9 consider also the M2-10 too as it is actually only half an inch longer but does have slightly better geometry as a result. IIRC it is no longer than say an RB300, so will fit most decks.

Interesting. Would the M-10 work on a turntable (e.g., Thorens TD 125 mkII) where the armboard is already cut for a 9" SME tonearm?

Interesting. Would the M-10 work on a turntable (e.g., Thorens TD 125 mkII) where the armboard is already cut for a 9" SME tonearm?

Almost certainly assuming your Thorens board is correctly cut, i.e. at an angle on the deck so there is plenty of movement. The difference in pivot to spindle distance between the two is 6.6mm, so well within the slide range with a typical cart. The M2-10 pivot to spindle distance is 222mm, so you can measure it up and check. The M2-9 is 215.4mm (figures taken from VinylEngine as I couldn't spot them on SME's site).

PS Chances are your 125 board was cut for a Stevenson geometry 3009, the M2 is Baerwald so puts the cart a bit shorter/further back in the arm, as such I bet the difference in position on the arm base is only a couple of mm.

Almost certainly assuming your Thorens board is correctly cut, i.e. at an angle on the deck so there is plenty of movement. The difference in pivot to spindle distance between the two is 6.6mm, so well within the slide range with a typical cart. The M2-10 pivot to spindle distance is 222mm, so you can measure it up and check. The M2-9 is 215.4mm (figures taken from VinylEngine as I couldn't spot them on SME's site).

PS Chances are your 125 board was cut for a Stevenson geometry 3009, the M2 is Baerwald so puts the cart a bit shorter/further back in the arm, as such I bet the difference in position on the arm base is only a couple of mm.

Yes, the armboard for the Thorens was cut for a 3009 w/ Stevenson, as that is what I currently have on there.

Thanks for the thoughts/advice, Tony.

I still think I prefer the aesthetics of the M2-9R (as I love the 3009), but I am not sure I am prepared to pay an additional $700 CDN just for j-shaped nostalgia. I was hoping someone would tell me that there were additional benefits to the M2-9R ;)

Easier cartridge swapping for different flavours? Plus additional headshells for the R model will be less expensive than the straight arm headshells.

But if you only see yourself enjoying one cartridge at a time (in the future also) I guess this advantage falls away.

The 'R' version was introduced by SME specifically because of demand, mainly in Asia, for an arm which could use the traditional Ortofon SPU headshells. That's the target audience, but quite a few people just prefer the 'J' shape armtube.
I know that one of SME's most experienced dealers thinks that the 9R and SPU are a match made in audio heaven.
However, if you aren't interested in an SPU, and aren't desperate to have a 'J' shaped arm, then the standard version makes more sense. And, as has been suggested, if the 10 inch version fits, get that instead. Again, the 10inch version was a response to the demands of Asian markets. It's good. All the M series are fair value.
The M-12r is enough to get me drooling.

The 'R' version was introduced by SME specifically because of demand, mainly in Asia, for an arm which could use the traditional Ortofon SPU headshells. That's the target audience, but quite a few people just prefer the 'J' shape armtube.
I know that one of SME's most experienced dealers thinks that the 9R and SPU are a match made in audio heaven.
However, if you aren't interested in an SPU, and aren't desperate to have a 'J' shaped arm, then the standard version makes more sense. And, as has been suggested, if the 10 inch version fits, get that instead. Again, the 10inch version was a response to the demands of Asian markets. It's good. All the M series are fair value.
The M-12r is enough to get me drooling.

+1!

I can just see that taking pride of place on the 401 plinth....

....better start saving the pennies.

advertisement

Back