advertisement

SME Dashpots & Levers

mjkelshaw

pfm Member
Finally realised that my time on the planet is finite and therefore I need to 'move-on' some of my 'spare' items & parts.
This morning, in one of my 'bits' boxes I found a couple of SME dashpots c/w levers, both are fitted with the 'ark' shaped (pastic?) top part which contacts the arm tube.
However, one has a lever which is limited to 90 Deg. of travel, because the 'flat' on the spindle comes into contact with the vertical pin at both ends of it's travel. On the other, the lever just rotates freely without any means of actual 'stop'.
Would any member know whether the 'freely' rotating one is faulty or perhaps fitted with an incorrect lever?
Regards
Mike Kelshaw

The one with the lever that rotates freely likely has the piston stuck in the up position, Mike.

Try gently pressing down upon the lift platform with the lever positioned in the lowered position, and then, while still applying gentle downforce, operate the lever up and down a few times. If the lever follows the normal travel pattern, with the platform moving up and down accordingly, then it is in need of a cleaning/relube service, easy to do by following the SME service sheet (pictured below).

Alternatively, just sell it on as 'functional but in need of a cleaning/relube'.

Craig

SME.png

First, Thank you both for your helpful replies.
Second, I feel I should offer you both an apology for my indolence, I was convinced that the 'detent pin' was 'fixed' into the boss on the original levers and only removeable on the levers supplied with the FD200 kit.
However, this morning, I removed said lever from the 'floppy' dashpot and found that the lever is missing it's 'detent pin' - DOH!!
I then dismantled the second one, to find that the 'pin' was in place on the lever boss - but - it doesn't 'appear' to be easily removeable.
In the course of this investigation, I also discovered that the dashpot missing it's 'pin' does have the 'grub screw' which secures the armrest, whereas, on the one that is complete with 'pin', the grub screw is missing - DOOH!!!
I suppose this is an example of 'some you win, some you lose'.
I send you both and all fellow 'fishies' my "Best Wishes for 2022" - Let's hope for a reduction in both the ongoing pandemic and 'government' incompetence, although I suspect the latter is less likely.
Regards
Mike Kelshaw

advertisement

Back