advertisement

SME 3012

smithy

pfm Member
Bit of a dilemma here as I have two setups that hardly get used Sondek/Ittok LV2 and an userviced 401/SME 3012.Roughly what would each fetch and if it were you which turntable would you keep?

I'd keep the one that I prefered the sound of.

If it was swings and roundabouts in terms of which I prefered, I'd keep the less valuable one / the one with cheaper running costs (which may depend on the cartridge used on them).

When it comes to selling, in the strange world of Ebay, you often get more by selling the arm and turntable separatly with each auction referencing the other.

Value of the LP12 depends on what power supply it has plus any other upgrades, plus cosmetic condition plus how good you are at taking photos of it and writing a fancy advert that truthful but talks it up. LP12 with Valhalla plus Ittok most likely to sell for at least £600. With a Lingo it'd be £1000.

Value of the Garrard depends on what plinth it has, cosmetic condition plus the quality of your advert. I've seen 401's sell at anything from £300 to £1000 this year on Ebay. The SME 3012 must be worth a few hundred too.

Plus MC cartridges - even totally worn ones - will be worth a bit, thanks to ESC.

But Ebay prices are all over the place. You may be pleasantly surprised or disappointed at the prices your gear fetches...

In a lot of ways the history of vinyl reproduction has now been written, and viewing it with 20/20 hindsight many view Garrards, SMEs etc as the golden age. The price on the LP12 / Ittok is pretty static whereas the price on the 401 / 3012 is still increasing. From an investment perspective I'd dump the Linn and keep the Garrard / SME if they are in good original condition without any obvious blemishes. It depends how much you want the cash though... a really good clean 3012 is worth more than the LP12 / Ittok on it's own, i.e. the Garrard combo is potentially worth a hell of a lot more. Obviously dustbug marks, tarnish or other blemishes will knock this value substantially.

Tony.

PS listen to them too! Both are good decks IMO. The Garrard will probably require more effort to get the best out of, but once that's done it's done (bar topping up the main bearing oil now and again).

Tony is right, the Garrard and SME 3012 are appreciating assets, The Linn is going nowhere value wise. However, when you see the prices paid on Ebay for old Linn Basic tonearms I wonder, will the same thing will happen to the Ittoks?
As for the LP12 Lindsayt has a point, the parts could be worth more than the whole.
The SME 3012 could be worth as much as the Linn and Garrard combined, whatever you do, think very carefully about all the options you have before selling.
Errol

can i hijack this thread for a quick question: i'm after a 12" arm to mount it as the second arm on my kuzma stabi II (for denon 103 most likely). the original idea was to seek for a 3012 in my 'hood, hoping it fetches less here than elsewhere but i was wrong, it's 500-600E in an original condition which means another few hundreds for bronze bearings, new wiring and a few other mods. when i put everything on paper, it looks as jelco-750L is much cheaper and much less complicated option. the only issue is the sound: has anyone had a chance to hear both of these in a rather similar enviroment ( as in: to make valid conclusions). thanks

Hi All
This is my first post, all the way from Malaysia.
I have inherited a Thorens 124 II with SME 3012.
Have recently realised the value of the 124 and now it seems the arm is worth something too huh.
Must admit I thought the old 12 inch thing wouldnt cut it sonically.
Havent used it yet
I will be getting it restored soon and installed in a new plinth. Cant wait :)

Welcome to pfm. You have the makings of a superb deck there, it will just need a nice SPU to finish it off! Spares for both the TD-124 and 3012 are pretty easy to come by (eBay, Schopper.ch and Stereo Lab for the 124, SME themselves for the 3012). There is a lengthy and informative thread from Fox here about his journey rebuilding a 124/II, I've done similar myself as I've got two of them (one in use, one hiding in a cardboard box).

Tony.

Thanks Tony. The original cartridge was an ortofon S15T which I believe was MC but seemed to have the step up trans in the casing so it was a big cartridge altogether.
Many thanks for info.
124 will need a plinth as it has lived in a custom HiFi cabinet for its first 42 yrs !

What type of plinth are you going for? Mine is in a German Stereo Lab plywood plinth modelled on the original 1950s plinth:

3235784755_cb16658895_o.jpg

They are available on eBay too and they do a bigger one for 12" arms (though you can hang a 3012 over the side of the standard one, it all fits with the right armboard). This solid CLD one looks really good, though I worry about how hot the motor would get with no ventilation.

Tony.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
OMG thats beautiful ! Is it actually your 124?
I saw similar ones in that Swiss website but these are all very expensive (when conv to malaysian money)
These will inspire a diy project i think.

Yes, that one is mine. That Stereo Lab is about the cheapest readily available commercial plinth, it's about 180 UK pounds IIRC. I like the look of it a lot, and also I like that the 124 is such a compact deck it would even take a 12" arm and still sit on that wallshelf. I've got a Garrard 301 in another room / system and that is huge so needs a dedicated table etc.

Tony.

I also like the wall mount Tony!
Will see what i can do over the next few weeks and months .
I have to get the thing sent to KL from my hometown first.
I think for the first few weeks I will just enjoy it as it is. There will b a lot to do as i remember it was quite noisy even a few years to go.
Wow the Garrard is another thing of beauty - I remember as a kid going to the local record shop. This old lady would play tracks on a 310 mounted on a big fibre board with 3012 arm and some old shure cart. I havent seen one in decades!
I am astounded that the 301/ 401 and my 124 have become items of considerable desire now!
btw I got out a pretty old Linn in a sad state (circa 78, no mods, Grace/supex) and a Rega planar 2 ('80)
I gave the Linn away to my new friend who has restored the Rega to perfection
(the Linn was going to cost me way too much)
Same friend has fine tuned and retubed an e20a Regers amp that i just acquired.
And I havent had a chance to hook them all to my LS35As yet.
Something to look forward to this w/e Yes!!
(other bits: modded CD63SE, Rogers 10" sub)
Thanks for help and hints
Shahrin

advertisement

Back