advertisement

SME 3009R - anything to check for if buying?

Considering the 3009 arms were discontinued over 40 years ago, I don't think there's anyone at the current SME company who was around in those days. In deference to the expert you eventually found who told you what you wanted to hear, I stick by my contention that the arm is a Frankenarm!

The thing you don’t seem to understand is all SME 30xx arms are ‘Frankenarms’ to some degree!

4232785535_b603107ba6_c.jpg

Here’s a picture of one of my pre-Improved Series II 3009s.

3362313591_ac2291cc74_c.jpg

Here is my very early (and rare!) Series II Improved. If you have a good eye you will notice it is an intermediate step as it has the earlier arm rest, a metal knife edge and a very unusual bias hanger. Someone who didn’t know much about SME would likely call it a fake or Frankenarm, but it is entirely factory stock and its manual pictures match it 100% (annoyingly I haven’t got its box, that would add a lot of value!).

13718934944_b17261a185_c.jpg

Here’s my later Series II Improved with fixed headshell so you can compare the arm rest, vertical bearing and bias hanger. There are later SII Improved arms that this as it lacks the RCA outs and is still Stevenson geometry. I’ve even seen very late ones with a black dashpot!

I post this just as an indication as to how SME as a company worked. I’m certain I called Rosewind’s 3009R correctly here all along. I didn’t believe for a minute that the counterweights or rear arm assembly were faked as they are a) too good, and b) don’t exist anywhere else (you just don’t set machining of that quality up and then not try to sell the result). It isn’t a ‘frankenarm’ at all, just one where the mounting screws have been lost along the way somehow, as have the box, manual etc. I’ve had to replace a couple of parts on at least one of mine, e.g. the heavy rider-weight, acorn nuts chewed up by idiots over tightening them etc (they don’t need more than finger tension, SME included a little plastic box-spanner!).

PS Contrast and compare all these pictures with the 3009R, you will notice many parts are unchanged since the early ‘60s!

Nice photos Tony!

Here is a spare parts view of the counter weight assembly, part numbers 2260 and 2260/12. I have marked the 2 hand screws that are unoriginal on my SME 3009Rr + 2 missing parts that go with the original rider weight hand screw:

TJ9feHHl.jpg

My version of the loadscrew follower has the functionality of the original.
The rider weight locking screw assembly consists of three parts. My rider weight locking screw is longer than the original to compensate for the missing rider weight plunger and rider weight spring. It also does the job but without the finesse of the original rider weight locking screw assembly.

Everything alse in the photo is present. My arm has the extra counterweight (7), part number 2263. Note that the drawing shows the larger SME 3012R counter-weight, part number 2261/12 (5).

Now I have all the relevant parts numbers and can ask SME specifically for those parts. I will want all 4 above replaced with the original parts. In addition I will want to buy an original headshell.

Hi Rosewind,
I would appreciate a 'link' to the 30xx R 'parts list' that you've succeded in finding - I tried searching but only came up with images of arms and actual arms for sale.
Regards
Mike Kelshaw

I searched and looked under images and located pages 4 and 5 as a jpeg file first. Then changed the page numbers and downloaded all 16 pages, a total of 9 files. No sweat.

Naturally, I have created an A3-sized PDF file that I will upload to my Google drive wherefrom it can be downloaded to a computer near you. I don't have it on my phone so it will have to wait until I have walked our two dogs. It will take 45 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Here is the parts list document for SME 3009R 3010R 3012R with "exploded" views of all parts of the tonearm, hereby put in the public domain:-----

Hi Rosewind,
Many thanks for the 'link' to the 30xxR document - I shall also now be searching for, similar 'lists' for the 'S2' and 'Improved' versions, if they exist.
Hopefully you will also publish further stages, or at least the final outcome of your 'journey' with your own 3009R.

Regards
Mike K.

Last edited:
Hi Rosewind, Thank you for the additional 3 links to further information about the early series SME tonearms. The Polish site looks really interesting, and seems to contain other topics which I find interesting - I shall therefore be taking the time to explore it further.
Regards
Mike K.

One of files linked to above may be problematic. I can now open it on my smart phone and Windows computer. I don't know why it won't open on Macintosh computers. It is this file:

SME Series 2 Improved Models 3009 and 3009/S2 Service Manual

The file is about 20 MB.

I have just bought a s/h original SME S2-R headshell for this arm at half the price of a new one. I have also placed an order with SME UK for the small plunger + spring set for use with the screw in the side-rider weight. I also contemplate buying the two original screws to make it even more original.

It looks like I will have to keep this arm for use on a turntable, and since I have no use for two turntables, I am in the process of swapping my nice Empire 698 for another equally nice turntable sans arm. I have no shipping boxes, otherwise I would have offered it for swap here as it is a thing of beauty and I know that some of you have spare turntables that would make me happy if I got my hands on one of them.

Now I just need a nice inexpensive turntable to put it on. But which vintage one will be able to take me further than my Thorens TD 147 Jubilee + TP 16 arm?

I intend to use the Benz Micro Gullwing on the SME 3009R arm - or perhaps trade the Gullwing in for another good cart when I get it back from Benz in Switzerland.

Try it on the 147, I'm not sure you'll find a nicer inexpensive deck (depending on your definition of inexpensive of course). The whole Thorens arm and assembly can be easily removed and re-installed without damaging the the auto-lift mechanism.

I sold the Jubilee already, but I am not adverse to buying a 160 Super. I think it is a pity to remove the auto-lift from a semi-automatic turntable.

advertisement

Back