advertisement

SME 3009R - anything to check for if buying?

Re. the two Iinks: I forgot to add a trigger warning above for those of you allergic to dust on hifi equipment. :)

Poul’s dust levels are nearly as impressive as mine. I’m also very taken with his hat collection. But please ask him why he doesn’t have a trilby (the thinking Tannoy owner’s headwear of choice.)

43110190234_4cc5af4217_c.jpg

The Leffe looks yummy! My kind of beer! I am not a hat man mysel. Tried to wear one at one point but I suppose I have got too much hair left on the top of my head (and in other places as well).
I will make sure to ask. Perhaps he has upgraded his collection of hats?

I don't know what kit he currently has in his set-ups. I am sure I will be told if I ask. He is quite outspoken but also extremely helpful. For the visit with the tonearm I will be charged by the hour - which is only fair as he may be servicing it if it is (almost) fully genuine.

The arm is a genuine SME 3009R tonearm.

The only exceptions being the two screws + the fact that two tiny springs are missing + there is no headshell. Otherwise it is complete.

So how on earth two respected international SME-repairers could reach a verdict of it being absolutely a fake arm is beyond me. It beggars belief and one may be excused for saying some nasty things about those two American and German experts that make money restoring SME arms. You can scroll up and get their names. I for one will never ever again get near them or their businesses with a bargepole. NOT RECOMMENDED.

On the contrary, SME UK was right in their tentative conclusion on the basis of my photos of the arm. The same photos that were sent to the two "experts."

------

I spent almost three hours together with Poul Mathiasen (correctly spelled this time) at his combined business and home in Aaarhus. It took him 10 seconds to establish that my SME 3009R is completely genuine and in good condition. No doubt whatsoever. He will gladly certify this or repeat this to anyone who will want to check. You can find him through his website "Dansk Audio Teknik".

After a few minutes spent looking at the genuine SME 3009R tonearm, I listened to some fantastic music - first Lucinda Williams in the basement where some big tower speakers were driven by Class D amps, then upstairs on an active ATC chain: ATC SCA 2 - (8 Channel) ATC power amp - ATC 300 speakers fed by a Weiss DAC 1 and a nice CD-player (I forgot to write down the brand but perhaps someone can identify it from the photo?). We listened to Lucinda Williams albums ("World Without Tears" and "Live @ the Fillmore"), The Hadouk Trio and Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Revisited" (live). Impressive and realistic sound. Holy Moly! I may want to borrow the ATC SCA2 preamp for a repeat performance in my own set-up, or perhaps better not ...

Photos of a vinyl-lined room - and before anyone asks, "no" - I did not listen to music through the gigantic horn-speakers that can be seen waiting in the next room, and "no" we did not spin any vinyl on the SME turntable:

FBfsdCnh.jpg

JxogX20h.jpg

That’s very good news of course - not to mention peculiar and alarming - but we need to know about the hats.

Poul's head is too big for a Trilby. I asked.

EDIT: he has another hat similar to a Trilby - I don't remember what is is called. Incidentally he and I have the same head sizes: 63 centimeters. However, unlike him, I have a lot of head hair left.

Last edited:
Hi Rosewind, Pleased to read that you've received confirmation that your 3009R arm is 'genuine'.
I trust that SME will be able to supply you with any missing 'bits', and then with a good clean it will be ready to use.
Hopefully this will also allow you to 'make peace' with the gentleman with whom you made the initial 'trade'.

Regards
Mike Kelshaw

He was the first person I texted once the verdict was in. So yes, a good thing. :)

Last edited:
I think I will hold on to it for now although I do not have any turntable to put it on. I can always sell it later and I can safely say that the value of it hasn't lessened now that I know that it is genuine.

I have sent an email to SME UK to hear how much the two finger screws + two small springs would cost me. eBay prices seem over the top: 55£ for the large finger screw. I may also want to look out for an original SME headshell, a service manual and a box.

I have sent an email to SME UK to hear how much the two finger screws + two small springs would cost me. eBay prices seem over the top: 55£ for the large finger screw. I may also want to look out for an original SME headshell, a service manual and a box.
Hi Rosewind,
Sadly, I notice that 'new' SME website doesn't list any 'spare parts', unlike the previous version. However images of the pages of the original 'handbook' are available on there, which presumably could be printed.
As for the headshell, the later 'R' version has 2 retaining 'pins' as opposed to 1 on earlier versions. I'm sure that they will be available from SME, given that they appear to be used for the latest M2 version arms, however they will probably be expensive.
I've purchased several '1 pin' headshells via 'epay', but I've never seen any '2 pin' versions for sale, however, either version will fit, and the only other difference that I can see is that the 'finger lift' is mounted on one side of the headshell with a small machine screw & nut on the later '2 pin', wheras on the ealier version it's 'sandwiched' between the headshell and cartridge and therefore secured by the cartridge mounting screws.

Regards
Mike Kelshaw

Poul's head is too big for a Trilby. I asked.

EDIT: he has another hat similar to a Trilby - I don't remember what is is called. Incidentally he and I have the same head sizes: 63 centimeters. However, unlike him, I have a lot of head hair left.
A trilby can turn into a fedora if the brim isn’t kept under firm control. In extreme cases they can even become panamas. True aficionados say the material is an important factor too. I’d say Poul’s (shown in the Hifi4all link) is a pork-pie panama.

The headshell is as far as I’m aware exactly the same as that on the M2-xR arms, so available as a current (reassuringly expensive) spare.

Further to my earlier posts regarding my long and usually futile search for a 3009R - I've just spotted this on 'e-pay'
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SME-3009-R-Black-Tonearm-Arm/264500245915
Listed as "May have a few minor sign of use" - Ha! Ha!
However, it is mentioned that the bias weight is missing, but both the headshell, and the secondary counterweight also appear to be missing. the arm tube is definitely 'cosmetically challenged'.
Regards
Mike Kelshaw

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I asked SME for a list of parts for the SME 3009R and was told that they did not have such a list but that I should just ask for parts. I await an answer from them. I am just happy that they will answer a direct customer request.

I tried to find a Danish SME expert through the Danish importer but he was very dismissive now that SME UK had answered. So it ws good that I remembered about Poul Mathiasen.

I think that you could buy the arm without the secondary counter-weight. I was in contact with a Dane who owned such a version.

Bias weight 50£ here: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=143383737744

Finger screws:
22£: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=143431923848
55£: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=143210184114

Secondary counter-weight:
115£: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=143418031948

Perhaps I should part out the arm?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi Rosewind,
I'm really surprised to see those NOS 'R' items on 'epay' - the seller, from whom I've purchased SME parts previously, also has copy of the original 30xxR handbook !!!!!!
'Part it out' - Well you could - Perhaps you could get more for a complete arm. From memory I think the immaculately restored one that was for sale on the A.T.A. website was +/- 1800 Euros.
Perhaps Rober Graetke or Alfred Kayser would make you an offer for the arm in it's current state that you couldn't refuse - Best of Luck

Mike Kelshaw

I am not going to go near those two again. Ever.

I wonder where they get the parts from?
I will wait for Brian from SME UK to answer.

Considering the 3009 arms were discontinued over 40 years ago, I don't think there's anyone at the current SME company who was around in those days. In deference to the expert you eventually found who told you what you wanted to hear, I stick by my contention that the arm is a Frankenarm!

Edited:

Poul Mathiasen is a man with 40 years' professional experience with selling and servicing hifi equipment. A man who personally owns three SME turntables with SME arms. A man who has had several SME 3009, SME 3009R and the rest of the line through his hands in his business. Finally, he distributed SME in Denmark for 7 years.

Last edited:
EDITED:

If anyone has a scan of the service manual it would be greatly appreciated for this arm that was produced from 1980 to the beginning of the 1990s. That is not 40 years ago. I could find a scan of the improved 1 and ii series but not a service manual for the SME 3009R.

Never mind:

I found a complete scan of the spare parts list for the SME 3009R 3010R 3012R on the interweb. Is there any non-profit place where this could be uploaded?

Here is the front page:
kndr3cVh.jpg

advertisement

Back